Invariance and the Wald Test
AbstractMany models and hypotheses of interest in econometrics are invariant to certain types of data transformations such as measurement unit changes. Dagenais and Dufour (1991, 1992) and Dufour and Dagenais (1992) have shown that Wald test are not invariant in general to such data transformations. In this paper, I provide a simple set of sufficient conditions to ensure that a Wald test for a null hypothesis is invariant to such a data transformation. I then use this set of conditions to help account for certain features of the Monte Carlo results from Gregory and Veall (1986) on the properties of a variety of Wald tests for Sargan's COMFAC restriction (Sargan 1980) in the first-order autoregressive distributed-lag model.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Essex, Department of Economics in its series Economics Discussion Papers with number 526.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Allan W & Veall, Michael R, 1985. "Formulating Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1465-68, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986.
"On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
801, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Park, Joon Y, 1988. "On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1065-83, September.
- Lafontaine, Francine & White, Kenneth J., 1986. "Obtaining any Wald statistic you want," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 35-40.
- Dagenais, Marcel G & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1991.
"Invariance, Nonlinear Models, and Asymptotic Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1601-15, November.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Veall, Michael R., 1986. "Wald tests of common factor restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(2-3), pages 203-208.
- Sargan, J D, 1980. "Some Tests of Dynamic Specification for a Single Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 879-97, May.
- Dagenais, Marcel G. & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1992. "On the lack of invariance of some asymptotic tests to rescaling," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 251-257, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:62:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Béal, Sylvain & Rémila, Eric & Solal, Philippe, 2012.
"Axioms of invariance for TU-games,"
41530, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dastoor, Naorayex, 2009. "The perceived framework of a classical statistic: Is the non-invariance of a Wald statistic much ado about null thing?," Working Papers 2009-25, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Naorayex K Dastoor, 2008. "A simple explanation for the non-invariance of a Wald statistic to a reformulation of a null hypothesis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(62), pages 1-10.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.