Estimation of Discount Factor ÃŸ and Coefficient of Relative Risk Aversion ? in Selected Countries
AbstractThe long-run discount factor for a group of developed and developing countries is estimated through standard methodology incorporating adaptive expectations of inflation. In the second part, while considering a standard Euler equation for household's intertemporal consumption, the parameter of constant relative risk aversion (CRRA) for Pakistan is estimated by using the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) approach. The resulting parameter value of CRRA conforms to the empirical range for developing countries (as given in, Cardenas and Carpenter, 2008) The GMM estimator for the discount factor reinforces its result from the first part of the paper. [SBP WP no. 53]. URL:[http://www.sbp.org.pk/publications/wpapers/2012/wp53.pdf].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:5087.
Date of creation: Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Discount Factor; relative risk; economics; future returns;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2003. "The coefficient of relative risk aversion: a Monte Carlo study investigating small sample estimator problems," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 923-940, September.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Brock, William A., 1980.
"Asset Prices in a Production Economy,"
275, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Sule Alan & Martin Browning, 2003. "Estimating Intertemporal Allocation Parameters using Simulated Residual Estimation," CAM Working Papers 2003-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1990. "On tests of representative consumer asset pricing models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 285-304, October.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Hamish Low, 2004.
"Estimating Euler Equations,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(2), pages 405-435, April.
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C. & Moore, George R. & Schuh, Scott D., 1995.
"Estimating the linear-quadratic inventory model Maximum likelihood versus generalized method of moments,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 115-157, February.
- Jeffrey Fuhrer & George Moore & Scott Schuh, 1993. "Estimating the linear-quadratic inventory model: maximum likelihood versus generalized method of moments," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Ogaki, M & Reinhart, C-M, 1995.
"Measuring Intertemporal Substitution : The Role of Durable Goods,"
RCER Working Papers
404, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Masao Ogaki & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution: The Role of Durable Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 1078-1098, October.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao, 1995. "Measuring intertemporal substitution: The role of durable goods," MPRA Paper 13690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:fip:fedgws:y:2008:i:feb is not listed on IDEAS
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1979.
"Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models,"
127, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1980. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 7-46, May.
- repec:fip:fedgws:y:2008:i:jul is not listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Jordi Galí, 2008.
"Monetary Policy and the Open Economy
[Monetary Policy, Inflation, and the Business Cycle: An Introduction to the New Keynesian Framework]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
- Haider, Adnan & Jan, Asad & Hyder, Kalim, 2012.
"On the (IR) Relevance of Monetary Aggregate Targeting in Pakistan: An Eclectic View,"
43422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adnan Haider & Asad Jan & Kalim Hyder, 2013. "On the (Ir)Relevance of Monetary Aggregate Targeting in Pakistan: An Eclectic View," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 18(2), pages 65-119, July-Dec.
- Haider, Adnan & Din, Musleh-ud & Ghani, Ejaz, 2012.
"Monetary policy, informality and business cycle fluctuations in a developing economy vulnerable to external shocks,"
42484, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adnan Haider & Musleh ud Din & Ejaz Ghani, 2012. "Monetary Policy, Informality and Business Cycle Fluctuations in a Developing Economy Vulnerable to External Shocks," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 51(4), pages 609-682.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.