School Libraries and Language Skills in Indian Primary Schools: A Randomized Evaluation of the Akshara Library Program
AbstractA randomized evaluation of a school library program on childrenâ€™s language skills is conducted. The program had little impact on studentsâ€™ scores on a language test administered 16 months after implementation. The estimates are sufficiently precise to rule out effects larger than 0.13 and 0.11 standard deviations based on the 95 and 90 percent confidence intervals. The finding of zero effects is robust to different modes of implementation, individual tested language competencies and various subsets of the student population. We also find no impact on test scores in other subjects or on school attendance rates. [BREAD Working Paper No. 349]. URL:[http://ipl.econ.duke.edu/bread/papers/working/349.pdf].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:5041.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Development; Education; Library; Reading; standard deviations; zero effects; language competencies; student population; school attendance rates; educational program; Bangalore; India; school curriculum; libraries; Akshara; developing countries; poor;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Shawn Cole & Esther Duflo & Leigh Linden, 2007.
"Remedying Education: Evidence from Two Randomized Experiments in India,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 1235-1264, 08.
- Esther Duflo & Abhijit Banerjee & Shawn Cole & Leigh Linden, 2006. "Remedying Education: Evidence from Two Randomised Experiments in India," Working Papers id:360, eSocialSciences.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Cole, Shawn & Duflo, Esther & Linden, Leigh, 2006. "Remedying Education: Evidence from Two Randomized Experiments in India," CEPR Discussion Papers 5446, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Shawn Cole & Esther Duflo & Leigh Linden, 2005. "Remedying Education: Evidence from Two Randomized Experiments in India," NBER Working Papers 11904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Shawn Cole & Esther Duflo & Leigh Linden, 2005. "Remedying education: Evidence from two randomized experiments in india," Framed Field Experiments 00122, The Field Experiments Website.
- Abeberese, Ama Baafra & Kumler, Todd J. & Linden, Leigh L., 2011. "Improving Reading Skills by Encouraging Children to Read: A Randomized Evaluation of the Sa Aklat Sisikat Reading Program in the Philippines," IZA Discussion Papers 5812, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.