Can Firm Clusters Foster Non-Farm Jobs? Policy Issues for Rural India
AbstractThe present paper argues that a comprehensive rural industrialisation/cluster development strategy has to be designed within a broader regional development perspective that does not fail to include employment generation as a, if not the, critical dimension.A mechanistic, replicative and essentially ad hoc approach to cluster development that is oblivious to the developmental constraints facing the Indian rural economy may fail to succeed in generating employment opportunities as also in creating a competitive and sustainable rural industrial base.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:381.
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
industrial clusters; rural industrialisation; rural economy; employment generation; sustainable industrial base; small firms; industry;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keshab Das, 2001. "Issues in Promoting Rural Infrastructure in India," Documents de travail 67, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Anderson, Dennis, 1982. "Small industry in developing countries: A discussion of issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(11), pages 913-948, November.
- Bar-el, Raphael, 1984. "Rural industrialization objectives: The income-employment conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 129-140, February.
- Zlatan Frohlich & Sanja Malekovic & Mario Polic, 1998. "Role of small and medium sized enterprises in the regional development of Croatia," ERSA conference papers ersa98p175, European Regional Science Association.
- Lewis, John P., 1976. "The new economics of growth: A strategy for India and the developing world : John W. Mellor a twentieth century fund study (Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, 1976) pp. xv+335," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 390-393, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.