Union-Firm Bargaining Under Alternative Pay Schemes: Does Performance Related Pay Fair Better?
AbstractThis paper compares and contrasts equilibrium outcomes under right-to-manage bargaining (RTM) and efficient bargaining (EB) corresponding to two alternative pay schemes, fixed wage vis-a-vis piece-rate. [WP No.8]. URL:[http://www.gipe.ac.in/pdfs/working%20papers/wp8.pdf].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3803.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
equilibrium; RTM; Efficient bargaining; EB; alternative pay; fixed wage; union; firm; Bargaining; piece-rate; Social welfare; Union; output; payoff; manufacturing; firms; pune; India;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-05-14 (Business Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2011-05-14 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Shearer, 2004. "Piece Rates, Fixed Wages and Incentives: Evidence from a Field Experiment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(2), pages 513-534, 04.
- Emmanuel Petrakis & Minas Vlassis, .
"Endogenous Wage-Bargaining Institutions in Oligopolistic Sectors,"
Working Papers, University of Crete, Department of Economics
0105, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 00 Dec 2001.
- Emmanuel Petrakis & Minas Vlassis, 2004. "Endogenous wage bargaining institutions in oligopolistic sectors," Economic Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 55-73, 07.
- Booth,Alison L., 1994.
"The Economics of the Trade Union,"
Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521464673.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1996.
"Performance Pay and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc
5672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2000. "Performance Pay and Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1346-1361, December.
- Bhattacherjee, Debashish, 2003.
"The Effects of Group Incentives in an Indian Firm - Evidence from Payroll Data,"
Working Papers, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics
03-14, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Debashish Bhattacherjee, 2005. "The Effects of Group Incentives in an Indian Firm: Evidence from Payroll Data," LABOUR, CEIS, CEIS, vol. 19(1), pages 147-173, 03.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "Optimal Intervention in an Economy with Trade Unions," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS), University of Warwick, Department of Economics 221, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Kraft, Kornelius, 1998. "The codetermined firm in oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 195-201, November.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "Trade Unions, Wages and Unemployment: What Can Simple Models Tell Us?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 526-45, November.
- Barton H. Hamilton & Jack A. Nickerson & Hideo Owan, 2003. "Team Incentives and Worker Heterogeneity: An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Teams on Productivity and Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(3), pages 465-497, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.