At Different Speeds: Policy Complementarities and the Recovery from the Asian Crisis
AbstractThis paper begins with a short review and discussion of the literature on policy complementarities and their implications in terms of (sustainable) growth strategies and the possible emergence of a new policymaking paradigm. Then, it provides a descriptive analysis of the effect on economic growth of complementarities in structural policies in the specific context of the post-Asian crisis recovery. The study resulted in the computation of a reform-level indicator and of a complementarity indicator RC for the economies most affected by the Asian crisis—Indonesia, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, and Thailand. [ADB Institute Research Paper Series No. 74]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3294.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
complementarity; structural reforms; growth; recovery; Asian crisis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996.
"Currency crashes in emerging markets: An empirical treatment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 351-366, November.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "Currency crashes in emerging markets: an empirical treatment," International Finance Discussion Papers 534, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998.
"The Asian Liquidity Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
6796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raphael Bergoeing; Loayza & Norman; Repetto, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
36, Econometric Society.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Norman Loayza & Andrea Repetto, 2004. "Slow Recoveries," Documentos de Trabajo 188, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Norman Loayza, 2004. "Slow Recoveries," 2004 Meeting Papers 244, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Norman Loayzaw & Andrea Repetto, 2004. "Slow Recoveries," NBER Working Papers 10584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliveira Martins, Joaquim & De Macedo, Jorge Braga, 2008.
"Growth, Reform Indicators and Policy Complementarities,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7960, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jorge Braga De Macedo & Joaquim Oliveira Martins, 2008. "Growth, reform indicators and policy complementarities," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(2), pages 141-164, 04.
- Macedo, Jorge Braga de & Martins, Joaquim Oliveira, 2006. "Growth, Reform indicators and Policy complementarities," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp484, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Jorge Braga de Macedo & Joaquim Oliveira Martins, 2006. "Growth, Reform Indicators and Policy Complementaries," NBER Working Papers 12544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2003.
CEPR Discussion Papers
4100, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Chang & Linda Kaltani & Norman Loayza, 2005.
"Openness can be good for Growth: The Role of Policy Complementarities,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c010_021, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Chang, Roberto & Kaltani, Linda & Loayza, Norman V., 2009. "Openness can be good for growth: The role of policy complementarities," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 33-49, September.
- Roberto Chang & Linda Kaltani & Norman Loayza, 2005. "Openness Can be Good for Growth: The Role of Policy Complementarities," NBER Working Papers 11787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Chang, & Linda Kaltani & Norman Loayza, 2006. "Openness Can be Good for Growth: The Role of Policy Complementarities," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 373, Central Bank of Chile.
- Chang, Roberto & Kaltani, Linda & Loayza, Norman, 2005. "Openness can be good for growth : the role of policy complementarities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3763, The World Bank.
- Raj Chetty & Adam Looney, 2005.
"Income Risk and the Benefits of Social Insurance: Evidence from Indonesia and the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
11708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raj Chetty & Adam Looney, 2007. "Income Risk and the Benefits of Social Insurance: Evidence from Indonesia and the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Fiscal Policy and Management in East Asia, NBER-EASE, Volume 16, pages 99-121 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino, 2001.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
381, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1999.
"Lessons from the Asian crisis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 709-723, August.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey Sachs, 1998. "The Onset of the East Asian Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- AMIR, Rabah, 2003.
"Supermodularity and complementarity in economics: an elementary survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003104, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rabah Amir, 2005. "Supermodularity and Complementarity in Economics: An Elementary Survey," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 636-660, January.
- John L. Walker, 2000. "Building the legal and regulatory framework," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 44(Jun), pages 31-88.
- Jahangir Aziz & Robert F. Westcott, 1997. "Policy Complementarities and the Washington Consensus," IMF Working Papers 97/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Youngjae Lim & Chin Hee Hahn, 2003. "Bankruptcy Policy Reform and Total Factor Productivity Dynamics in Korea," NBER Working Papers 9810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vodopivec, Milan & Raju, Dhushyanth, 2002. "Income support systems for the unemployed : issues and options," Social Protection Discussion Papers 25529, The World Bank.
- Jason Furman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1998. "Economic Crises: Evidence and Insights from East Asia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 1-136.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.