Economic Well-being and Non-economic Well-being: A Review of the Meaning and Measurement of Poverty
AbstractThis paper discusses the measurement of poverty and well-being. A historical overview is given of the last fifty years. This is followed by discussion of three groupings of indicators: those measures based primarily on economic well-being; those based on non-economic well-being and composite indicators. It is argued that the choice of indicator should reflect its purpose and that economic measures are best when quick, rough-and-ready, short run, aggregate inferences are required. In contrast, non-economic measures are better when greater depth on medium- or longer-term trends and/or dis-aggregation are required. [Research Paper No. 2004/30]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3268.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
data; statistics; poverty; well-being;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Howard, 2002. "Combining Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches in Poverty Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 511-522, March.
- Lipton, Michael & Ravallion, Martin, 1995.
"Poverty and policy,"
Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2551-2657
- Lipton, Michael & Ravallion, Martin, 1993. "Poverty and policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 1130, The World Bank.
- Anand, Sudhir & Sen, Amartya, 2000. "Human Development and Economic Sustainability," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2029-2049, December.
- Desai, Meghnad, 1991. "Human development : Concepts and measurement," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 350-357, April.
- Harriss, John, 2002. "The Case for Cross-Disciplinary Approaches in International Development," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 487-496, March.
- Hulya Dagdeviren & Rolph van der Hoeven & John Weeks, 2000. "Redistribution Matters: Growth for Poverty Reduction," Working Papers, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK 99, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK.
- Ravallion, M., 1992. "Poverty Comparisons - A Guide to Concepts and Methods," Papers, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement 88, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2003. "Progress Toward the Millennium Development Goals in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 23-52, January.
- Pritchett, Lant & Suryahadi, Asep & Sumarto, Sudarno, 2000. "Quantifying vulnerability to poverty - a proposed measure, applied to Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2437, The World Bank.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1994. "Human Development: A New Paradigm or Reinvention of the Wheel?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 238-43, May.
- Hicks, Norman & Streeten, Paul, 1979. "Indicators of development: The search for a basic needs yardstick," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 567-580, June.
- Jacques Loup, David Naudet and Développement et insertion internationale (DIAL), 2000. "The State of Human Development Data and Statistical Capacity Building in Developing Countries," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007), Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) HDOCPA-2000-11, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Streeten, Paul, 1984. "Basic needs: Some unsettled questions," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 973-978, September.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2000. "Poverty Comparisons Over Time and Across Countries in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2123-2155, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.