Financial Crisis, Trade Finance, and SMEs: Case of Central Asia
AbstractThis paper surveys studies of the importance of Central Asian small- and medium-sized enterprises (SME) in the economy and their experience during the Russian financial crisis. It also uses survey data from the World Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Developmentâ€™s Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Surveys to infer noteworthy characteristics, features, and dependencies on financing of Central Asian SMEs and, consequently, derive the potential impact of the crisis on the sector. The paper also assesses government support for SMEs and the necessary market reforms that will give a boost to the sectorâ€™s development in the region. [ADBI Working Paper 187]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3023.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Central Asian; medium-sized enterprises (SME); Russian; Environment; Enterprise Performance Surveys;
Other versions of this item:
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2010. "Financial Crisis, Trade Finance, and SMEs : Case of Central Asia," Finance Working Papers 22924, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2010. "Financial Crisis, Trade Finance, and SMEs: Case of Central Asia," ADBI Working Papers 187, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2010-10-23 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-CWA-2010-10-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2010-10-23 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gonzalo Pastor & Tatiana Damjanovic, 2003.
"The Russian Financial Crisis and Its Consequences for Central Asia,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc.,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(3), pages 79-104, May.
- Gonzalo C. Pastor & Tatiana Damjanovic, 2001. "The Russian Financial Crisis and its Consequences for Central Asia," IMF Working Papers 01/169, International Monetary Fund.
- Kalyuzhnova, Yelena & Vagliasindi, Maria, 2006. "Capacity utilization of the Kazakhstani firms and the Russian financial crisis: A panel data analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 231-248, October.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "Financial Crises: Past Lessons and Policy Implications," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 668, OECD Publishing.
- Marek Dabrowski, 2008. "Policy Challenges Faced by Low-Income CIS Economies," CASE Network Studies and Analyses, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research 0375, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Geeta Batra & Daniel Kaufmann & Andrew H. W. Stone, 2003. "Investment Climate Around the World : Voices of the Firms from the World Business Environment Survey," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15143, October.
- Bahtiyor R. Eshchanov & Mona Grinwis Plaat Stultjes & Sanaatbek K. Salaev & Ruzumboy A. Eshchanov, 2011. "Rogun Dam—Path to Energy Independence or Security Threat?," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(9), pages 1573-1592, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.