India's Intra- Industry Trade Under Economic Liberalization: Trends and Country Specific Factors
AbstractThis paper focuses on two aspects of Indiaâ€™s intra-industry trade (IIT) in manufactured commodities under economic liberalization. First, it examines the changes in the intensity of multilateral IIT as between 1987-88, 1994-95 and 1998-99 to understand the impact of trade liberalisation on IIT. Second, within the theoretical framework of vertical IIT, it analyzes the influence of various country specific factors on the intensity and the probability of IIT in Indiaâ€™s bilateral trade with her major trading partners. The findings confirmed the hypothesis that trade liberalization biases trade expansion towards IIT. [Working Paper No. 313]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2967.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
India; Liberalisation; Intra-industry trade; country specific factors;
Other versions of this item:
- Veeramani C, 2001. "India's intra-industry trade under economic liberalization: Trends and country specific factors," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 313, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Globerman & James Dean, 1990. "Recent trends in intra-industry trade and their implications for future trade liberalization," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 25-49, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
- Krugman, Paul, 2008. "Increasing returns," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2008-3, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Hongyi Li & Lyn Squire & Tao Zhang & Heng-fu Zou, 1999.
"A Data Set on Income Distribution,"
CEMA Working Papers
575, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- Lars Nilsson, 1999. "Two-way trade between unequal partners: The EU and the developing countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 102-127, March.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- P. Tharakan & Birgit Kerstens, 1995. "Does North-South horizontal intra-industry trade really exist? An analysis of the toy industry," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 86-105, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Klaus Deininger & Lyn Squire, 1996.
"A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality,"
CEMA Working Papers
512, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Rudolf Loertscher & Frank Wolter, 1980. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: Among countries and across industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 280-293, June.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Priyanka Singh Bhadouria & N.M.P. Verma, 2012. "Intra-industry trade in textile industry: the case of India," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 199-212.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2008.
"The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-17, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2009. "The Intra-industry Trade for a Highincome Country: New Empirical Evidence for Italy," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(2), pages 233-254.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, 2008. "The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 211, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Barua, Alokesh & Chakraborty, Debashis & Hariprasad, C. G., 2010. "Entry, Competitiveness and Exports: Evidence from Firm Level Data of Indian Manufacturing," MPRA Paper 22738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Poornima Varma, 2012. "An analysis of Indiaâ€™s bilateral intra-industry trade in agricultural products," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 83-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.