Environmental Quality Provision and Eco-labelling: Some Issues
AbstractThis paper is a literature survey of some relevant issues arising from environmental quality provision and eco-labelling schemes. First of all it is shown how the two topics are strictly related. Firms adopting a production process (or producing a good) more environmentally friendly than others (environmental quality provision aspect) may want to make it public (eco-labelling aspect). The survey addresses the question of optimal environmental quality provision (also as a policy tool) and firms compliance. With regard to eco-labelling, its impacts on market structure are analysed.From the empirical evidence it can be concluded that information plays a crucial role both for consumersâ€™ and producersâ€™ decisions. Consumers are willing to pay a higher price to be informed about the greenness of a good, and a label can really be a determinant in their choice of which brand to purchase. On the supply side, disclosing information about the environmental performance of a firm can affect investment decisions and its stock value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:281.
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
environmental quality; eco-labellng; consumer; producers; International Economic Relations; Economics; Environment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- CREMER, Helmuth & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"On the taxation of polluting products in a differentiated industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1384, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1999. "On the taxation of polluting products in a differentiated industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 575-594, March.
- Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 2001.
"Is Ecolabelling a Reliable Environmental Policy Measure?,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(1), pages 113-127, January.
- Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 1999. "Is Ecolabelling a Reliable Environmental Policy Measure?," Working Papers 1999.9, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cason, T.N. & Gangadharan, L., 1999.
"Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
708, The University of Melbourne.
- Cason, Timothy N. & Gangadharan, Lata, 2002. "Environmental Labeling and Incomplete Consumer Information in Laboratory Markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 113-134, January.
- Teisl, Mario F. & Roe, Brian & Hicks, Robert L., 2002. "Can Eco-Labels Tune a Market? Evidence from Dolphin-Safe Labeling," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 339-359, May.
- José Moraga-González & Noemi Padrón-Fumero, 2002. "Environmental Policy in a Green Market," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(3), pages 419-447, July.
- Thomas Bue Bjorner & Lars Garn Hansen & Clifford S. Russell, 2002.
"Environmental Labelling and Consumer's Choice - An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of the Nordic Swan,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0203, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Bjorner, Thomas Bue & Hansen, L.G.Lars Garn & Russell, Clifford S., 2004. "Environmental labeling and consumers' choice--an empirical analysis of the effect of the Nordic Swan," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 411-434, May.
- Bansal, Sangeeta & Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis, 2003. "Tax/subsidy policies in the presence of environmentally aware consumers," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 333-355, March.
- Klaus Conrad, 2003. "Price Competition and Product Differentiation when Consumers Care for the Environment," Working Papers 2003.66, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Mads Greaker, 2002. "Eco-labels, Production Related Externalities and Trade," Discussion Papers 332, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Foulon, Jerome & Lanoie, Paul & Laplante, Benoit, 2002. "Incentives for Pollution Control: Regulation or Information?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 169-187, July.
- Konar, Shameek & Cohen, Mark A., 1997. "Information As Regulation: The Effect of Community Right to Know Laws on Toxic Emissions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, January.
- Toshimitsu, Tsuyoshi, 2008. "On the effects of emission standards as a non-tariff barrier to trade in the case of a foreign Bertrand duopoly: A note," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 578-584, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.