Sports Retailing in India: Opportunities, Constraints and Way Forward
AbstractSports retail is a small but fast growing segment of modern retail in India. Recently, the country has been hosting many international sports and this has given a boost to this sector. Many foreign and domestic corporate retailers have entered sports retail. Sports goods manufacturing is a focus area in the Foreign Trade Policy (2009-2014) and the government is taking a fresh look at the current foreign direct investment policy in retail. In the above context, this paper provides an overview of the sports retail sector in India. Specifically, it presents the different retail formats, consumer profile, retailersâ€™ supply chain and sourcing. It also examines the retail and sports policies and their implications for this segment of retail, analyses the barriers faced by this sector and suggests policy reforms. [Working Paper No. 250]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2769.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
sports retail; fast growing; international sports; domestic; corporate; Foreign Trade Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-08-21 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-SPO-2010-08-21 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madeleine Andreff & Wladimir Andreff, 2007. "International Specialization of Major Trading Countries in Global Trade of Sports Goods," Working Papers 0715, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Heath, Julia A., 2001. "Human Capital Investment: An International Comparison: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development; Centre for Educational Research and Innovation, OECD, Paris, 1998, pp. 113, Price $25.00 ," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 93-94, February.
- Leonard, W. Patrick, 2001. "Education Policy Analysis 1998.: By Centre for Educational Research and Innovation. Paris, France: Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development, 1998 84 pp. Price: FF 120; U.S.$ 20.00 DM 36 ," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 195-196, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.