Global Crisis, Environment Volatility and Expansion of Tthe Indian Leather Industry
AbstractThe present paper attempts to fill in the gap that exists in the Indian Leather industry, and makes some suggestions regarding the expansion of the by examining technical efficiency (TE) of individual leather producing firms for some selected years since the early-1980s. Analyzing the industry’s firm-level data through the Data Envelopment Analysis the paper observes a significant positive association between a firm’s size and its TE, but no such conclusive relation between a firm’s age and TE. It also finds significant variation in TE across firms in different groups of states as well as under different organizational structures. [Working Paper 426]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2500.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Leather industry; Data Envelopment Analysis; Technical Efficiency; Scale Efficiency; Returns to Scale.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Lall, Somik V. & Rodrigo, G. Chris, 2000.
"Perspectives on the sources of heterogeneity in Indian industry,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2496, The World Bank.
- Lall, Somik V. & Rodrigo, G. Chris, 2001. "Perspectives on the Sources of Heterogeneity in Indian Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2127-2143, December.
- Kankana Mukherjee & Subhash C. Ray, 2004.
"Technical Efficiency and Its Dynamics in Indian Manufacturing: An Inter-State Analysis,"
2004-18, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Kankana Mukherjee & Subhash C. Ray, 2005. "Technical Efficiency And Its Dynamics In Indian Manufacturing: An Inter State Analysis," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 101-125, December.
- Page, John Jr., 1984. "Firm size and technical efficiency : Applications of production frontiers to Indian survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 129-152.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- T. A. Bhavani, 1991. "Technical Efficiency in Indian Modern Small Scale Sector: An Application of Frontier Production function," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 149-166, July.
- Anup Kumar Bhandari & Subhash C. Ray, 2012.
"Technical Efficiency In The Indian Textiles Industry: A Non‐Parametric Analysis Of Firm‐Level Data,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 109-124, 01.
- Anup Kumar Bhandari & Subhash C. Ray, 2007. "Technical Efficiency in the Indian Textiles Industry: A Nonparametric Analysis of Firm-Level Data," Working papers 2007-49, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.