Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture
AbstractThis paper investigates a series of questions that explore this topic: What kind of information do farmers value the most to improve agricultural productivity? Do mobile phones and mobile-enabled agricultural services have an impact on agriculture? What are the factors that impede the realisation of the full productivity enhancing potential of mobile phones? The answers to these questions have important implications for mobile operators, for information service providers, and for policymakers. The quality of information, its timeliness and trustworthiness are the three important features that have to be ensured to enable farmers to use it effectively to improve productivity. [ICRIER WP No. 246].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2443.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
information; Indian; socio-economic; fishermen; agricultural productivity; farmers; services; mobile operators; information;
Other versions of this item:
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2012. "Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture," EABER Working Papers 23188, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2012. "Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture," Development Economics Working Papers 23188, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2010. "Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture," Development Economics Working Papers 23031, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-03-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-03-20 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-EFF-2010-03-20 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Shenggen & Hazell, P. B. R. & Thorat, Sukhadeo, 1999. "Linkages between government spending, growth, and poverty in rural India:," Research reports 110, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kumar, Praduman & Mittal, Surabhi, 2006. "Agricultural Productivity Trends in India: Sustainability Issues," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 19(2006).
- Muto, Megumi & Yamano, Takashi, 2009. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Coverage Expansion on Market Participation: Panel Data Evidence from Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1887-1896, December.
- Reuben Abraham, 2007. "Mobile Phones and Economic Development: Evidence From the Fishing Industry in India," Information Technologies and International Development, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 5-17, October.
- Haggblade, Steven & Boughton, Duncan, 2013. "A Strategic Agricultural Sector and Food Security Diagnostic for Burma," Food Security International Development Working Papers 161372, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Babu, Suresh Chandra & Glendenning, Claire J. & Asenso-Okyere, Kwadwo & Govindarajan, Senthil Kumar, 2012. "Farmersâ€™ information needs and search behaviors: Case study in Tamil Nadu, India," IFPRI discussion papers 1165, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Balwant Singh Mehta, 2013. "Capabilities, costs, networks and innovations: impact of mobile phones in rural India," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series ctg-2013-29, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Mittal, Surabhi & Mehar, Mamta, 0. "How Mobile Phones Contribute to Growth of Small Farmers? Evidence from India," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 51.
- Glendenning, Claire J. & Ficarelli, Pier Paolo, 2012. "The relevance of content in ICT initiatives in Indian agriculture :," IFPRI discussion papers 1180, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.