Financing Strategy for Achievement of the MDGs and Implementation of the Tenth Five Year Plan
AbstractThis report presents an analysis of the strategy required to generate the required resources for investment in various services necessary to achieve the MDGs. The analysis attempts to quantify the fiscal space to finance the MDGs and identify the necessary fiscal reforms required to finance the MDGs in a sustainable manner. The next section outlines the analytical framework used to determine the potential for expanding fiscal space in an economy. Section 3 makes an assessment of overall financing requirements for achieving the MDGs and compares it with the Tenth Plan outlay. Section 4 explores the prospects of domestic revenue mobilisation. Section 5 analyses expenditure trends, its consistency with MDG costing requirements and explores the scope for creating fiscal space by improving efficiency and reprioritisation. Section 6 considers the role of ODA and examines the scope for borrowings (both external and domestic) and section 7 deals with the possibilities of enhancing fiscal space through private sources (FDI, households, public-private partnerships). [NIPFP WP NO 2008 / 59]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2081.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Bhutan; MDGs; Fiscal Space Diamond; Domestic Revenue Mobilisation; revenues; public expenditure; Official Development Assistance;
Other versions of this item:
- M. Govinda Rao & Seth, Anuradha & Rinzin, Chewang, 2009. "Financing strategy for achievement of the MDGs and implementation of the Tenth Five Year Plan," Working Papers 09/59, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- M. Govinda Rao & Anuradha Seth & Chewang Rinzin, 2009. "Financing Strategy for Achievement of the MDGs and Implementation of the Tenth Five Year Plan," Finance Working Papers 22977, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- O21 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Planning Models; Planning Policy
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-03 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.