EU Climate Change Policy 2013-2020: Thoughts on Property Rights and Market Choices
AbstractUnder 2013 to 2020 European Union proposals for CO2 emission reduction, a Member State can transfer to another Member State ?part? of their allowed emission allocation in the non-Emission Trading Sector ("ETS"). The paper addresses three questions in relation to these Transfer Emission Units or TEUs. First, what mechanism should be used to facilitate the exchange of TEUs? The preferred mechanism is a uniform price auction, preferably EU-wide. Second, what ?part? of the non-ETS emission limit of a Member State should be classed as TEUs ? 10%, 20% or no limit? The proportion of the non-ETS emission limit that should be traded should be maximised. Third, who should realise the value of TEUs ? the State, existing polluters? The value of TEUs should accrue to the State.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP292.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-05-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2009-05-09 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2009-05-09 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frances Ruane & Xiaoheng Zhang, 2007. "Location Choices of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Europe after 1992," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp220, IIIS.
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Lyons, Seán & Tol, Richard S. J., 2010.
"Public Policy Towards the Sale of State Assets in Troubled Times: Lessons from the Irish Experience,"
WP356, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Lyons, Sean & Tol, Richard S.J., 2011. "Public policy towards the sale of state assets in troubled times: Lessons from the Irish experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 193-201.
- Siedschlag, Iulia, 2009. "Measuring International Technology Spillovers and Progress Towards the European Research Area," Papers WP330, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Conor Devitt & Richard Tol, 2012. "Oligopoly and Oligopsony Power in the Swedish Market," Working Paper Series 3212, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Tol, Richard S. J., 2010. "The Research Output of Business Schools and Business Scholars in Ireland," Papers WP364, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gorecki, Paul K. & Tol, Richard S. J., 2011. "The Climate Change Response Bill 2010: An Assessment," Papers WP371, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.