What is an Entrepreneurial Opportunity?
AbstractWhat an entrepreneurial opportunity is and from whence it comes are important issues for understanding how markets function and come into being. In addition to describing the forum held on the topic and summarizing the contributions of the articles that appear in the special issue, this article shares a number of lessons learned during the conference and the editorial process. We explore three of the most important reasons for confusion about the opportunity construct: (1) the â€œobjectivityâ€ of opportunity, (2) the perceived importance of one particular individual in determining the direction of the social world and (3) what distinguishes the sub-class of â€œentrepreneurialâ€ opportunity from the broader category of opportunity in general. Finally, we offer some directions for future research by illuminating important issues that emerged from the conference but remain largely unanswered by the papers of this special issue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group in its series Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy with number 2007-10.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-02-24 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2007-02-24 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2007-02-24 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2007-02-24 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. David Baldwin & Ronald L. Oaxaca, 2003. "Editors' Introduction," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 7-7, May.
- Holcombe, Randall G, 2003. " The Origins of Entrepreneurial Opportunities," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 25-43, March.
- H�bert, Robert F. & Link, Albert N., 2007. "Historical Perspectives on the Entrepreneur," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 2(4), pages 261-408, February.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1986. "Rationality in Psychology and Economics," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S209-24, October.
- R. Kanbur & A.J. Venables, 2003. "Editors' Introduction:," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(4), pages 473-475, December.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Jeffery S. McMullen & Dean A. Shepherd, 2006. "Encouraging Consensus-Challenging Research in Universities," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(8), pages 1643-1669, December.
- S. Fukuda-Parr, 2003. "Editor's Introduction," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 323-324.
- Thomas Gries & Wim Naudé, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and structural economic transformation,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Structural Economic Transformation," Working Paper Series RP2008/62, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gary Akehurst & José Comeche & Miguel-Angel Galindo, 2009. "Job satisfaction and commitment in the entrepreneurial SME," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 277-289, March.
- Jean-Pierre Huiban, 2011. "The spatial demography of new plants: urban creation and rural survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 73-86, July.
- Koellinger, Ph.D., 2007.
"Why Are Some Entrepreneurs More Innovative Than Others?,"
ERS-2007-024-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Philipp Koellinger, 2008. "Why are some entrepreneurs more innovative than others?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 21-37, June.
- Vaghely, Ivan P. & Julien, Pierre-André, 2010. "Are opportunities recognized or constructed?: An information perspective on entrepreneurial opportunity identification," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 73-86, January.
- Hulbert, Bev & Gilmore, Audrey & Carson, David, 2013. "Sources of opportunities used by growth minded owner managers of small and medium sized enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 293-303.
- Jeroen de Jong & Sander Wennekers, 2008. "Intrapreneurship; Conceptualizing entrepreneurial employee behaviour," Scales Research Reports H200802, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Gries, Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship and human development: A capability approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(3-4), pages 216-224, April.
- Gries, Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and human development: A capability approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 216-224.
- Gries,Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and Human Development: A Capability Approach," Working Paper Series wp2010-68, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship in Economic Development," Working Paper Series RP2008/20, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Steffen Korsgaard, 2011. "Opportunity formation in social entrepreneurship," Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 265-285, September.
- repec:eme:jecpps:v:5:y:2011:i:4:p:265-285 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.