Does Entrepreneurship create enough Jobs in Europe? A Note
AbstractIn the present note an effort will be made for a contribution to economic theory by extending the discussion paper "Entrepreneurship, Regional Development and Job Creation: The Case of Portugal" by R. Baptista, V. Escarta and P. Madruga, MPI, # 0605, in which the authors conclude (among others) that entrepreneurship creates jobs and reduces unemployment. This extension will be feasible by estimating the total economy´s entrepreneurship reward for Western European countries and relating it with the total economy's unemployment rate. A regression based on the estimation of total economy´s entrepreneurship reward will yield the same main results with the above article not only for Portugal but also for all Western European countries, that in any Western European country entrepreneurship creates enough jobs to reduce unemployment. This generalization with panel data econometric analysis is based on the discussion paper "A Practical Method to Measure Entrepreneurship's Reward: A Note" by M. N. Georgiou, MPI, #3805.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group in its series Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy with number 2006-08.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-03-25 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2006-03-25 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-MAC-2006-03-25 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rui Baptista & Vítor Escária & Paulo Madruga, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship, regional development and job creation: the case of Portugal,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 49-58, January.
- Rui Baptista & Paulo Madruga & Vitor Escaria, . "Entrepreneurship, Regional Development and Job Creation: the Case of Portugal," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Miltiades N. Georgiou, 2006. "An Empirical Relationship between Entrepreneurship and FDI. A Note," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-27, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.