Self Employment Wage Employment Choice and Returns to Education for Urban Men and Women in Turkey
AbstractIssues relating to self employment in developed and developing countries alike have been attracting the attention of researchers recently. This paper examines several aspects of self and wage employment in Turkey. For this purpose, individual level data from the April and October rounds of the 1989 Household Labor Force Survey of the State Institute of Statistics are used. First, the employment status profiles against age and earnings are examined for men and women and evaluated within the framework of dualistic labor market models. Next, earning equations are estimated for self and wage employed men and women together with a probit equation of sector choice. Finally, private returns to education for self and wage employed men and women are estimated and evaluated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 9804.
Date of creation: Apr 1998
Date of revision: Apr 1998
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aysit Tansel & Fatma Bircan, 2011.
"Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Turkey: A Quantile Regression Analysis,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1102, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Aysit Tansel & Fatma Bircan Bodur, 2012. "Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Turkey: A Quantile Regression Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 107-121, 02.
- Aysit Tansel & Fatma Bircan, 2011. "Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Turkey: A Quantile Regression Analysis," Working Papers 2011/1, Turkish Economic Association.
- Tansel, Aysit & Bircan, Fatma, 2010. "Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Turkey: A Quantile Regression Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 5417, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aysit Tansel & Fatma Bircan, 2010. "Wage Inequality and Returns to Education in Turkey: A Quantile Regression Analaysis," ERC Working Papers 1003, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2010.
- Arda Aktas & Gokce Uysal, 2011. "Explaining the Gender Wage Gap in Turkey Using the Wage Structure Survey," Working Papers 005, Bahcesehir University, Betam, revised Mar 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.