Sources Of Structural Change And Its Impact On Interdependence: An Input-Output Perspective For The Post-1980 Turkish Economy
AbstractThe objective of this study is to analyze the patterns of structural and technological movements in the post-1980 Turkish economy. This period is known to span the overall transformation of the Turkish economy from domestic demand-oriented import substitutionist industrialization to one with export-orientation and integration with the global commodity and financial markets. What was theoretically expected from the process of outward orientation, was that as the economy would be exposed to more competition and technological know-how in the global markets and rapid gains in productivity would be converted into an engine of growth through technological improvements. It is the purpose of this paper to analytically depict and decompose the output movements in Turkey from 1980 onwards. By doing so, it becomes possible to observe whether trade orientation has been (one of) the major stimulating factors of output growth. To this end, this study uses input-output tables and employs Structural Decomposition Analysis to decompose the output change in the economy into the fraction attributable to changes in technology, the fraction attributable to import penetration in intermediate demand and the fractions attributable to level and composition of final demand, both in terms of its domestic and foreign components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 507.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision: Dec 2009
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2010-06-26 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CWA-2010-06-26 (Central & Western Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tounsi, Said & Ezzahid, El hadj & Alaoui, Aicha El & Nihou, Abdelaziz, 2013. "Key sectors in the Moroccan economy: An application of input-output analysis," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(18), pages 1-19.
- Tounsi, Said & Ezzahid, El Hadj & El Alaoui, Aicha & Nihou, Abdelaziz, 2012. "Key sectors in the Moroccan economy: An application of input-output analysis," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-59, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.