Economic Growth in Egypt: Constraints and Determinants
AbstractEgypt accelerated its ongoing transition from a public sector dominated economy to a private sector led and market oriented economy after the collapse of oil prices in the mid-1980s. Some aspects of the economy, such as trade policy, have been substantially transformed since then whereas other aspects, such as public control of the financial sector, have experienced less change in substance. We examine some determinants of growth in Egypt since the mid-1980s using insights from both standard econometric techniques and a diagnostic approach proposed by Hausmann, Rodrik and Velasco (2004). We find that trends in government consumption, credit to the private sector and the average growth rate of OECD countries have been significant determinants of growth in Egypt in the past. We also present evidence that suggests that inefficiency of financial intermediation is a significant current constraint on growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 0420.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision: Oct 2004
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
Other versions of this item:
- Anton Dobronogov, 2007. "Economic Growth in Egypt: Constraints and Determinants," Journal of African Development, African Finance and Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 31-66.
- Anton Dobronogov & Farrukh Iqbal, 2005. "Economic Growth in Egypt: Constraints and Determinants," Development and Comp Systems 0512024, EconWPA.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- World Bank, 2007. "Arab Republic of Egypt : Poverty Assessment Update, Volume 1. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7642, The World Bank.
- Kamal, Mona, 2013. "Financial Development and Economic Growth in Egypt: A Re-investigation," MPRA Paper 48564, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juliane Brach, 2008. "Constraints to Economic Development and Growth in the Middle East and North Africa," GIGA Working Paper Series 85, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Luisanna Onnis & Patrizio Tirelli, 2010. "Challenging the popular wisdom. New estimates of the unobserved economy," Working Papers 184, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2010.
- Klaus-Stefan Enders, 2007. "Egypt," IMF Working Papers 07/57, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.