How Did the Japanese Exports Respond to Two Crises in the International Production Network?: The Global Financial Crisis and the East Japan Earthquake
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impact of two massive shocks, the 2008-2009 Global Financial Crisis and the 2011 East Japan Earthquake, on Japanese exports, focusing on the characteristics of domestic/international production networks in machinery industries. Using monthly data of Japanese bilateral exports at the most disaggregated level, we decompose the fall and recovery of Japanese exports into intensive and extensive margins and also examine the exits and re-entries by applying logit estimation and survival analysis. Episodes of both shocks confirm the stability and robustness of production networks and the enhancing link with East Asia. On the other hand, differences between two shocks seem to generate differential impacts on corporate behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Working Papers with number DP-2012-01.
Length: 53 pages.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
The fragmentation theory; Intensive/extensive margins; Supply and demand shocks; Exchange rates; Survival analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mitsuyo ANDO, 2013. "Impact of Recent Crises and Disasters on Regional Production/Distribution Networks and Trade in Japan," Working Papers DP-2013-12, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- ANDO Mitsuyo & KIMURA Fukunari, 2012. "International Production Networks and Domestic Operations of Japanese Manufacturing Firms: Normal periods and the Global Financial Crisis," Discussion papers 12047, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Aekapol Chongvilaivan, 2012. "Thailand's 2011 flooding: Its impact on direct exports and global supply chains," Working Papers 11312, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.