International Production Networks in Machinery Industries: Structure and Its Evolution
AbstractThis paper intensively employs annual international trade statistics obtained from the UN Comtrade and examines to what degree East Asian countries have participated in global production networks in comparison with countries in other regions and whether East Asia’s intra-regional trade in machinery is different from extra-regional trade and transactions by other regions. It provides strong evidence of the formation of East Asian production networks, particularly in the form of expansion of exports and imports of parts & components, often ICT-related. It also traces the development of intra-regional markets of both parts & components and finished products since 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Working Papers with number DP-2010-09.
Length: 78 pages.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2010-11-06 (International Trade)
- NEP-NET-2010-11-06 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2010-11-06 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan & Krüger, Jens & Tuazon, Anna Mae, 2013. "Production Networks, Profits, and Innovative Activity: Evidence from Malaysia and Thailand," ADBI Working Papers 406, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Obashi, Ayako, 2011.
"Production Networks in East Asia: What We Know So Far,"
ADBI Working Papers
320, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Microeconomics Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Trade Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2011. "Bilateral tariff rates in international trade : finished goods versus intermediate goods," IDE Discussion Papers 304, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Kudo, Toshihiro & Kumagai, Satoru & Umezaki, So, 2013. "Five growth strategies for Myanmar : re-engagement with the global economy," IDE Discussion Papers 427, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Saslavsky, Daniel & Shepherd, Ben, 2012. "Facilitating international production networks : the role of trade logistics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6224, The World Bank.
- Tomohiro Machikita & Yasushi Ueki, 2011. "Interactive Learning-driven Innovation in Upstream-Downstream Relations: Evidence from Mutual Exchanges of Engineers in Developing Economies," Working Papers DP-2011-10, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.