International Production Networks: Comparison between China and ASEAN
AbstractAlthough East Asia experiences splendid economic growth with the development of international production networks, remaining development gaps across countries and regions are still large. This paper compares regions within China and countries in ASEAN in terms of the degree of participation in international production networks and discusses similarities and differences between China and ASEAN in the conceptual framework of extended fragmentation theory. Examining intra-East-Asian exports of machinery products by regions/countries, we find that China and ASEAN share a number of common features. However, China presents a hint of convergence in regional trade patterns while ASEAN seems to stagnate in its trickle-down effects on latecomers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Working Papers with number d004.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
China export; ASEAN export; export variety; fragmentation; agglomeration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fukunari Kimura, 2009. "The Nature and Characteristics of Production Networks in East Asia: Evidences from Micro/Panel Data Analyses," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-093, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Verico, Kiki, 2013. "The Economic Integration of ASEAN+3," MPRA Paper 43801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomohiro Machikita & Yasushi Ueki, 2011. "Interactive Learning-driven Innovation in Upstream-Downstream Relations: Evidence from Mutual Exchanges of Engineers in Developing Economies," Working Papers DP-2011-10, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.