Rural Labour Market Developments in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
AbstractThe significant changes in the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of human resources in rural Macedonia can be explained by the continued trend of emigration from villages to urban areas and abroad. The intensity of emigration has altered the demographic structure and reproductive base of the rural population, along with the income of rural households. The rural and agricultural labour market faces a mismatch with respect to the unfavourable age, education and spatial distribution of the total labour force. A reduction in the participation of women in the agricultural labour force is a new feature. The overall transformation is apparent in the income structure of rural households. An increase in the share of households with mixed income sources notably stems from households that receive remittances and foreign currency funds from family members abroad. The demographic revitalisation of rural areas depends on economic revitalisation, with a more rational use of the labour force and human resources, as well as a restructuring of agricultural production and agricultural holdings. In addition, improvements are necessary in the functioning of market institutions to better meet the needs of smaller farmers and the rural economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for European Policy Studies in its series Factor Markets Working Papers with number 101.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-02-01 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRA-2012-02-01 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Liesbeth Dries & Karen Macours, 2005.
"Transition and agricultural labor,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(1), pages 15-34, 01.
- Maja Micevska, 2008. "The Labour Market in Macedonia: A Labour Demand Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(2), pages 345-368, 06.
- Helen Lawton Smith, 2003. "Universities and Local Economic Development: An Appraisal of the Issues and Practices," Local Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 2-6, January.
- Jakimovski, Jorde, 2002. "Rural Development: Does Macedonia Need a New Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24964, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Petrick, Martin & Weingarten, Peter (ed.), 2004. "The role of agriculture in Central and Eastern European rural development: engine of change or social buffer?," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 25, number 93023, November.
- Abele, Steffen & Frohberg, Klaus (ed.), 2003. "Subsistence agriculture in Central and Eastern Europe: how to break the vicious circle?," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 22, number 93082, November.
- Stefan Bojnec & Liesbeth Dries, 2005. "Causes of Changes in Agricultural Employment in Slovenia: Evidence from Micro-data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 399-416.
- Rizov, Marian & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2004. "Human capital, market imperfections, and labor reallocation in transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 745-774, December.
- Helen Lawton Smith, 2003. "Knowledge Organizations and Local Economic Development: The Cases of Oxford and Grenoble," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 899-909.
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2008. "Rural-Urban Poverty Differences in Transition Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2170-2187, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Kaditi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.