Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion: the link between foreign market access and access to education
AbstractWe devise a retrospective panel data approach to evaluate the effects of fair trade affiliation on the schooling decisions of a sample of Thai organic rice producers across the past 20 years. We find that the probability of school enrolment in families with more than two children is significantly affected by affiliation years. The finding is robust when dealing with endogeneity and heterogeneity issues in the estimate. The nonpositive preaffiliation performance documents that our result is not affected by selection bias and that fair trade affiliation generates a significant break in the schooling decisions of affiliated households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometica in its series Econometica Working Papers with number wp10.
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Edificio U9, Viale dell'Innovazione, 10, 20126 Milano
Phone: 0039 02 6448 6540
Web page: http://www.econometica.it
More information through EDIRC
child schooling; market access; fair trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2011. "Virtuous Interactions in Removing Exclusion: The Link between Foreign Market Access and Access to Education," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(9), pages 1431-1454, September.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Conzo, Pierluigi & Pisani, Fabio, 2010. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion," AICCON Working Papers, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit 63-2009, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo & Fabio Pisani, 2009. "Virtuous interactions in removing exclusion: The link between foreign market access and access to education," Working Papers 122, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- O22 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Project Analysis
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Rizzolli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.