Evolución de las condiciones socioeconómicas de los hogares en el programa Oportunidades
AbstractThis paper presents empirical evidence that allows us to understand how does the welfare level of beneficiary households of the conditional cash transfer program Oportunidades evolve, both in the short and in the medium term. Understanding this evolution is relevant in order to design efficient exit mechanisms for this type of programs—something that concerns at least 27 conditional cash transfer programs worldwide. Using administrative data of the universe of beneficiary households, we study changes in welfare levels of rural and urban households in the short and medium term. Furthermore, recognizing that the evolution of each household’s welfare level might be heterogeneous, we analyze the paths different types of households have followed over time. Our results confirm the existence of heterogeneity in the evolution of welfare levels among households. The data shows that poorer households have achieved greater improvements in their welfare level than (relatively) better off households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos in its series Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios Económicos with number 2012-07.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
poverty; CCT; Oportunidades Program; eligibility; graduation strategy; Mexico;
Other versions of this item:
- Campos-Vazquez, Raymundo & Chiapa, Carlos & Huffman, Curtis & Santillán, Alma S., 2013. "Evolución de las condiciones socioeconómicas de los hogares en el programa Oportunidades," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(317), pages 77-111, enero-mar.
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- D69 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Other
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-02 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez, 2013. "Pobreza y desigualdad en México: identificación y diagnóstico," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2013-08, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras Romo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.