Corrections to classical procedures for estimating thurstoneÂ´s case v model for ranking data
AbstractThe classical method (Mosteller, 1951) for estimating ThurstoneÂ´s Case V model for ranking data consists in a) transforming the observed ranking patterns to patterns of binary paired comparisons, b) obtaining the normal deviate corresponding to the men of each binary variable, and c) estimate the model parameters from these deviates by least squares. However, classical procedures do not take into account the dependencies among the deviates and as a result, asymptotic standard errors (SEs) and goodness of fit (GOF) test are incorrect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment in its series Working Papers Economia with number wp06-25.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: María de Molina, 11. 28006 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 568 96 00
Web page: http://www.ie.edu/esp/claustro/claustro_areas_detalle.asp?id=5
More information through EDIRC
Categorical data analysis; Preference data; Random utility models;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2007-01-02 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ECM-2007-01-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-UPT-2007-01-02 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederick Mosteller, 1951. "Remarks on the method of paired comparisons: III. A test of significance for paired comparisons when equal standard deviations and equal correlations are assumed," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 207-218, June.
- Albert Maydeu-Olivares, 1999. "Thurstonian modeling of ranking data via mean and covariance structure analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 325-340, September.
- Frederick Mosteller, 1951. "Remarks on the method of paired comparisons: I. The least squares solution assuming equal standard deviations and equal correlations," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 3-9, March.
- Albert Maydeu-Olivares, 2001. "Limited information estimation and testing of Thurstonian models for paired comparison data under multiple judgment sampling," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 209-227, June.
- Rung-Ching Tsai, 2000. "Remarks on the identifiability of thurstonian ranking models: Case V, case III, or neither?," Psychometrika, Springer, Springer, vol. 65(2), pages 233-240, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amada Marcos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.