Does Large Price Discrimination Imply Great Market Power?
AbstractA simple model demonstrates that there is no theoretical connection between the extent of price discrimination and the extent of market power.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta) in its series Emory Economics with number 0525.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- McAfee, R. Preston & Mialon, Hugo M. & Mialon, Sue H., 2006. "Does large price discrimination imply great market power?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 360-367, September.
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-10-17 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2005-10-16 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thisse, J.-F. & Vives, X., 1987.
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1987008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Locay, Luis & Rodriguez, Alvaro, 1992. "Price Discrimination in Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 954-65, October.
- Varian, Hal R., 1989. "Price discrimination," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 597-654 Elsevier.
- James D. Dana & Jr., 1998. "Advance-Purchase Discounts and Price Discrimination in Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 395-422, April.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- James D. Dana, 2000.
"Competition in Price and Availability when Availability is Unobservable,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1450, Econometric Society.
- Dana, James D, Jr, 2001. "Competition in Price and Availability When Availability is Unobservable," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(3), pages 497-513, Autumn.
- Gullstrand, Joakim & Olofsdotter, Karin & Thede, Susanna, 2011. "Markups and export pricing," Working Papers 2011:37, Lund University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sue Mialon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.