Capital structures and compensation policies
AbstractWe study the interations between leverage, employment structure and compensation policies within firms. Recent works have shown that there exists heterogeneity in compensation policies across firms (Abowd, Kramarz and Margolis, 1999 and Margolis, 1996). We introduce firms' capital structure in order to explain part of this heterogeneity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise in its series THEMA Working Papers with number 99-28.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G., 1999. "Capital Structures and Compensation Policies," Papers 99-28, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G., 1999. "Capital Structure and Compensation Policies," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 99-03, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- J33 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Compensation Packages; Payment Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2001-10-29 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2001-11-01 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2001-10-29 (Finance)
- NEP-LAB-2001-10-29 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2001-10-29 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abowd, John M, 1989. "The Effect of Wage Bargains on the Stock Market Value of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 774-800, September.
- Kahn, Charles & Scheinkman, Jose, 1985. "Optimal employment contracts with bankruptcy constraints," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 343-365, August.
- David N. MARGOLIS, 1996.
"Cohort Effects and Returns to Seniority in France,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 443-464.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995.
"High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms,"
Cahiers de recherche
9503, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," CIRANO Working Papers 94s-23, CIRANO.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High Wage Workers and High Wage Firms," NBER Working Papers 4917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," Cahiers de recherche 9503, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Beaudry, Paul & DiNardo, John, 1991. "The Effect of Implicit Contracts on the Movement of Wages over the Business Cycle: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 665-88, August.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hart, O. & Moore, J., 1991.
"A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital,"
592, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1994. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 841-79, November.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1991. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1991/233, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1995. "A Theory of Debt Based on the Inalienability of Human Capital," NBER Working Papers 3906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, C.W. & Watts, R.L., 1992.
"The Investment Oppotunity set and Corporate Financing, Dividend and Compensation Policies,"
92-02, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Watts, Ross L., 1992. "The investment opportunity set and corporate financing, dividend, and compensation policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 263-292, December.
- Perotti, Enrico C & Spier, Kathryn E, 1993.
"Capital Structure as a Bargaining Tool: The Role of Leverage in Contract Renegotiation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Perotti, E.C. & Spier, K.E., 1991. "Capital Structure As A Bargaining Tool: The Role Of Leverage In Contract Renegociation," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1548, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1998.
"Reputation Acquisition in Debt Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
602, David K. Levine.
- Bradley, Michael & Jarrell, Gregg A & Kim, E Han, 1984. " On the Existence of an Optimal Capital Structure: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 857-78, July.
- Wells, R., 1992. "Strategic dynamic debt," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9221, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Dionne, G. & Gagne, R. & Gagnon, F. & Vanasse, C., 1993.
"Debt, Moral Hazard and Airline Safety : An Empirical Evidence,"
Cahiers de recherche
9309, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dionne, Georges & Gagne, Robert & Gagnon, Francois & Vanasse, Charles, 1997. "Debt, moral hazard and airline safety An empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 379-402, August.
- Dionne, G. & Gagne, R. & Gagnon, F. & Vanasse, C., 1994. "Debts, moral hazard and airline safety : an empirica evidence," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9419, CEPREMAP.
- K. Dachraoui & G. Dionne, 1998.
"Information structure, labour contracts and the strategic use of debt,"
THEMA Working Papers
98-34, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Dachraoui, K. & Dionne, G., 1998. "Information Structure, Labour Contracts and the Strategic Use of Debt," Papers 9834, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Dionne, G., 1998.
"La mesure empirique des problemes d'information,"
9833, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marion Oury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.