Business ownership and sectoral growth
AbstractIn this report we investigated the development of business ownership (self-employment) rates over time at the sectoral level, and the effect these rates have on sectoral output growth. In an earlier exercise, Carree et al. (2002) presented a two-equation model to analyse the interrelationship between economy-wide business-ownership rates and economic development. Their analysis raises an important research question: to what extent do differences in business ownership at the economy-wide level reflect differences in the sectoral structures of economies or differences in business-ownership rates at the sectoral (or even industry) level? The current paper investigates this question making use of a sectoral data base of 21 OECD countries for the period 1970-98. Our estimation results suggest that for our sample of OECD countries there is, on average, a too low business-ownership rate in manufacturing and a too high business-ownership rate in services. The results also show that the results found in Carree et al. (2002) are not solely due to countries differing in sectoral structures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EIM Business and Policy Research in its series Scales Research Reports with number H200206.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 12 Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Martin Carree, 2010.
"The relationship between entrepreneurship and economic development: is it U-shaped?,"
Scales Research Reports
H200824, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Wennekers, Sander & van Stel, Andr� & Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 2010. "The Relationship between Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: Is It U-Shaped?," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 6(3), pages 167-237, July.
- Audretsch, David B. & Carree, Martin A. & van Stel, André J. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2000.
"Impeded industrial restructuring : the growth penalty,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
114, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Audretsch, David B & Thurik, A R Roy, 2000. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," CEPR Discussion Papers 2648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.J. van Stel & A.R. Thurik, 2000. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-095/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bjuggren, Carl Magnus & Johansson, Dan & Stenkula, Mikael, 2010.
"Using Self-employment as Proxy for Entrepreneurship: Some Empirical Caveats,"
Ratio Working Papers
154, The Ratio Institute.
- Bjuggren, Carl Magnus & Johansson, Dan & Stenkula, Mikael, 2010. "Using Self-employment as Proxy for Entrepreneurship: Some Empirical Caveats," Working Paper Series 845, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Andre van Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2004. "The effect of entrepreneurship on national economic growth: an analysis using the GEM database," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-34, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Sander Wennekers & Roy Thurik & Andr� van Stel & Niels Noorderhaven, 2003.
"Uncertainty Avoidance and the Rate of Business Ownership across 22 OECD Countries, 1976-2000,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-089/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 01 Sep 2004.
- Niels Noorderhaven & André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers, 2005. "Uncertainty Avoidance and the Rate of Business Ownership across 22 OECD Countries, 1976-2000," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- María Callejón & Vicente Ortún, 2009. "The Black Box of Business Dynamics," Working Papers XREAP2009-07, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Sep 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.