Valuing environmental impacts of coastal development projects: a choice modelling application in Spain
AbstractDevelopmental monetary benefits of coast artificialisation projects are rarely confronted with the environmental benefits that its conservation may entail. As a consequence, policy-makers often face decision making processes in which monetary benefits have to be balanced with physical impacts ending up in undervaluation or overvaluation of environmental aspects. Non-market valuation of coastal and marine resources is thus a growing concern in the assessment of cost-benefit analysis of coastal developmental projects. This paper attempts to estimate the effects on peopleâ€™s utility of the potential environmental impacts of a new seaport in Pasaia, Spain. A choice modelling technique is proposed as a means of estimating marginal impacts for different environmental attributes of mount Jaizkibel, namely its landscape, flora, avifauna and seabed. The results from a multinomial logit model reveal that, on average, individuals would pay 1.39 euros for a one percentage protection of its landscape; 0.87 euros for protecting its flora; 0.68 euros for protecting its avifauna; and 0.63 euros for protecting its seabed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística) in its series BILTOKI with number 2008-02.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Postal: Dpto. de Econometría y Estadística, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-05-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2008-05-24 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ENV-2008-05-24 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2008-05-24 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-RES-2008-05-24 (Resource Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2008-05-24 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nick Hanley & Robert Wright & Vic Adamowicz, 1998. "Using Choice Experiments to Value the Environment," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 413-428, April.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304.
- Nick Hanley, 2001. "Cost - benefit analysis and environmental policymaking," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(1), pages 103-118, February.
- Hoyos, David & Riera, Pere, 2013. "Convergent validity between revealed and stated recreation demand data: Some empirical evidence from the Basque Country, Spain," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 234-248.
- Aline Chiabai & Ibon Galarraga & Anil Markandya & Unai Pascual, 2013.
"The Equivalency Principle for Discounting the Value of Natural Assets: An Application to an Investment Project in the Basque Coast,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 56(4), pages 535-550, December.
- Aline Chiabai & Ibon Galarraga & Anil Markandya & Unai Pascual, 2011. "The Equivalency Principle for Discounting the Value of Natural Assets: An Application to an Investment Project in the Basque Coast," Working Papers 2011-10, BC3.
- Mariel Chladkova, Petr & Etxano Gandariasbeitia, Iker & Hoyos Ramos, David & Garmendia Oleaga, Eneko & Pascual, Unai, 2011. "The management of Natura 2000 Network sites: a discrete choice experiment approach," BILTOKI 2011-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.