Nonparametric estimation betas in the Market Model
AbstractIn this study an alternative nonparametric estimator to the Fama and MacBeth approach for the CAPM estimation is proposed. Betas and risk premiums are estimated simultaneously in order to increase the explanatory power of the proxy for betas. A data driven method is proposed for selecting the smoothness degrees, which are directly related to the subsample sizes. Based on this relation, the traditional estimator is obtained as a particular case. Contrary to the results obtained in other studies our empirical evidence for Spanish market data is favorable to the CAPM.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística) in its series BILTOKI with number 2006-03.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Postal: Dpto. de Econometría y Estadística, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shanken, Jay, 1992. "On the Estimation of Beta-Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 1-33.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Prescott, Edward C, 1976. "Estimation in the Presence of Stochastic Parameter Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 167-84, January.
- Belén Nieto & Rosa Rodriguez, 2005. "Modelos de valoración de activos condicionales: Un panorama comparativo," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 29(1), pages 33-71, January.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Francis, Jack Clark, 1978. "Beta as a Random Coefficient," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 101-116, March.
- M. Victoria Esteban, 1997. "Variabilidad predecible en los rendimientos de los activos: Evidencia e implicaciones," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(3), pages 523-542, September.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Robert Brooks & Robert Faff & Thomas Josev, 1997. "Beta stability and monthly seasonal effects: evidence from the Australian capital market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(9), pages 563-566.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Herwartz, Helmut, 1996. "Specification of varying coefficient time series models via generalized flexible least squares," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 261-290, January.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1991.
"Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521405737, October.
- Harvey,Andrew C., 1990. "Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521321969, October.
- Gonzalez-Rivera, G., 1996.
"The Pricing of Time-Varing Beta,"
The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management
96-1, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. "The Variation of Economic Risk Premiums," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 385-415, April.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Baesel, Jerome B, 1974. "On the Assessment of Risk: Some Further Considerations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(5), pages 1491-94, December.
- Gonedes, Nicholas J., 1973. "Evidence on the Information Content of Accounting Numbers: Accounting-based and Market-based Estimates of Systematic Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(03), pages 407-443, June.
- Bos, T & Newbold, P, 1984. "An Empirical Investigation of the Possibility of Stochastic Systematic Risk in the Market Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 35-41, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.