Absorbing Sets in Coalitional Systems
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is twofold: First, to present an approach and a solution for analyzing the stability of coalition structures: We define a coalitional system (a set and a binary relation on that set) that explains the transitions between coalition structures and we propose to solve these systems using the absorbing sets solution for abstract systems. Second, to perform an analysis of this approach to evidence its utility in determining the stable coalition structures for some socioeconomic problems. We find that the absorbing sets solution efficiently solves this class of coalitional systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística) in its series BILTOKI with number 2002-01.
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Postal: Dpto. de Econometría y Estadística, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray, D. & Vohra, R., 1993.
"Equilibrium Binding Agreements,"
21, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Chwe Michael Suk-Young, 1994. "Farsighted Coalitional Stability," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 299-325, August.
- Kalai, Ehud & Schmeidler, David, 1977.
"An admissible set occurring in various bargaining situations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 402-411, April.
- E. Kalai & D. Schmeidler, 1975. "An Admissible Set Occurring in Various Bargaining Situations," Discussion Papers 191, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bloch, Francis, 1996. "Sequential Formation of Coalitions in Games with Externalities and Fixed Payoff Division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 90-123, May.
- Yi, Sang-Seung, 1997. "Stable Coalition Structures with Externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 201-237, August.
- Kuipers, Jerome & Olaizola Ortega, María Norma, 2004. "Internal Organization of Firms and Cartel Formation," IKERLANAK 2004-15, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Olaizola Ortega, María Norma, 2003. "An Approach to the stability of international environmental agreements: the absorbing sets solution," IKERLANAK 2003-10, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.