Should firms allow workers to participate in R&D investment?
Abstract[EN] This paper analyzes if the introduction of new technologies in unionized firms, should be chosen unilaterally by the firm or negotiated with the union. The results show that firms prefer to choose the level of R&D or they prefer to negotiate it with their workers, depending of the R&D cost. According to the social welfare, it is better that firms negotiate with workers this decision, therefore the social planner must take correct steps so that firms bargain the investment in R&D with their workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística) in its series BILTOKI with number 1999-10.
Date of creation: Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Postal: Dpto. de Econometría y Estadística, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J50 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - General
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2000-01-24 (Finance)
- NEP-INO-2000-01-24 (Innovation)
- NEP-LAB-2000-01-24 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TID-2000-01-24 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.