Two-Stage Nonparametric Regression for Longitudinal Data
AbstractIn the analysis of longitudinal data it is of main interest to investigate the existence of group and individual effects under correlated observations across time. In this paper, we develop a nonparametric two-step procedure that enables us to estimate group effects under a very general form of correlation across time. Moreover, we propose several methods to estimate the bandwidth and show their asymptotyc optimality. Since the asymptotic distribution is untractable, we develop a randomization test that is suitable for testing the group effects. Finally, we apply the estimation procedure, the bandwidth selection criteria and the randomization test to the data from the Iowa Cochlear Implant Project.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística) in its series BILTOKI with number 1999-01.
Date of creation: Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Postal: Dpto. de Econometría y Estadística, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferreira, Eva & Núñez-Antón, Vicente & Rodríguez-Póo, Juan, 1997. "Kernel regression estimates of growth curves using nonstationary correlated errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 413-423, June.
- Hart, Jeffrey D. & Wehrly, Thomas E., 1993. "Consistency of cross-validation when the data are curves," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 351-361, April.
- Vicente Núñez-Antón & Juan Rodríguez-Póo & Philippe Vieu, 1999. "Longitudinal data with nonstationary errors: a nonparametric three-stage approach," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 201-231, June.
- Marron, James Stephen & Härdle, Wolfgang, 1986. "Random approximations to some measures of accuracy in nonparametric curve estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 91-113, October.
- Fraiman, R. & Meloche, J., 1994. "Smoothing dependent observations," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 203-214, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.