Minimum wages and employment
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of minimum wages on employment using a panel of US state-based data. We estimate a minimalist dynamic version of the specification implied by neo-classical theory. We find statistically and economically significant effects of minimum wages on youth employment. Unlike many other studies we find also significant effects on aggregate state employment. These results re-establish the conventional wisdom as existing before the work of Card-Krueger-Katz. The paper meets the methodological criticisms of this sort of panel study made by CKK. An important econometric innovation in this paper is to produce estimates allowing for cross-sectional correlation, which offers unbiased inference and potential efficiency gains.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library in its series LSE Research Online Documents on Economics with number 20119.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Minimum wages; panel data; cross sectional correlation; factor analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J39 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jellal, Mohamed, 2012.
"Maroc salaire minimum emploi et pauvreté
[Morocco minimum wage employment and poverty]," MPRA Paper 38491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pia M. Orrenius & Madeline Zavodny, 2008.
"The effect of minimum wages on immigrants' employment and earnings,"
0805, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2008. "The Effect of Minimum Wages on Immigrants’ Employment and Earnings," IZA Discussion Papers 3499, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Calavrezo, Oana & Pelek, Selin, 2011. "Qui sont les salariés payés au niveau du salaire minimum? Une analyse empirique à partir de données turques," GIAM Working Papers 11-2, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center, revised 13 Feb 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucy Ayre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.