Advanced Search
MyIDEAS: Login

Production Efficiency and Total Factor Productivity Growth in Turkish State Agricultural Enterprises

Contents:

Author Info

  • Ertugrul Deliktas

    ()
    (Department of Economics, Ege University)

  • Mehmet Candemir

    ()
    (Odemis Vocational Studies, Ege University)

Abstract

This paper examines the productivity performance of Turkish State Agricultural Enterprises using Data Envelopment Analysis approach. Regarding this, the paper mainly focuses on production efficiency or technical efficiency and total factor productivity growth of the enterprises over the 1999-2003 period. In the second stage of the study, we use a regression analysis to estimate the affects of potential factors influencing the production efficiency of the enterprises. The empirical results indicate that during this period, the agricultural enterprises experienced technical regress, on average, while the technical efficiency improved 1.5 percent. On the other hand,, the total factor productivity decreased 1.2 percent due to 2.7 percent technical regress over the study period. Also, the results of regression estimation indicate that irrigation rate, tractor as an indicator of existing technology, and the geographic regions of enterprises are important determinants of production efficiency.

Download Info

If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
File URL: http://iibf.ege.edu.tr/economics/papers/wp07-03.pdf
File Function: First version, 2007
Download Restriction: no

Bibliographic Info

Paper provided by Ege University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0703.

as in new window
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Handle: RePEc:ege:wpaper:0703

Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.iibf.ege.edu.tr/economics/
More information through EDIRC

Related research

Keywords: State agricultural enterprises in Turkey; total factor productivity growth; data envelopment analysis;

Find related papers by JEL classification:

This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:

References

References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
as in new window
  1. Carlos Arnade, 1998. "Using a Programming Approach to Measure International Agricultural Efficiency and Productivity," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 67-84.
Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)

Citations

Lists

This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

Statistics

Access and download statistics

Corrections

When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ege:wpaper:0703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Baris Gök).

If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.