Energy Demand for Heating in Spain: An Empirical Analysis with Policy Purposes
AbstractHousehold energy consumption, mostly due to residential heating, is a large component of energy demand in developed countries and thus a target for public policies aimed at reducing negative environmental effects and energy dependence. This paper uses detailed Spanish household micro data to model the related decisions on the type of heating energy source and on the amount of energy used for heating. This way, the article provides accurate estimates that may be used to assess the short and long term effects of public policies in this field. In particular, the relative prices of the three main energy sources for heating influence the discrete decision on the type of energy source in a sort of medium/long term effect. Moreover, the short-term demand reactions to energy price changes are found to be limited but variable across the different energy sources for heating in Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics for Energy in its series Working Papers with number 06-2011.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.eforenergy.org
Environment; energy; security; discrete; continuous; choice; taxes; prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-05-15 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2012-05-15 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2012-05-15 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- West, Sarah E., 2004. "Distributional effects of alternative vehicle pollution control policies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 735-757, March.
- Bernstein, Ronald & Madlener, Reinhard, 2011. "Responsiveness of Residential Electricity Demand in OECD Countries: A Panel Cointegation and Causality Analysis," FCN Working Papers 8/2011, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Halvorsen, Bente & Larsen, Bodil M., 2001. "The flexibility of household electricity demand over time," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Pedro Linares, 2009.
"Energy Efficiency: Economics and Policy,"
- E. Raphael Branch, 1993. "Short Run Income Elasticity of Demand for Residential Electricity Using Consumer Expenditure Survey Data," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 111-122.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, 2005.
"A Residential Energy Demand System for Spain,"
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Vaage, Kjell, 2000.
"Heating technology and energy use: a discrete/continuous choice approach to Norwegian household energy demand,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 649-666, December.
- Vaage, K., 2000. "heating Technology and Energy Use: a Discrete/Continuous Choice Approach to Norwegian Household Energy Demand," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 214, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2010.
"Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information,"
01-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Labandeira, Xavier & Labeaga, José M. & López-Otero, Xiral, 2012. "Estimation of elasticity price of electricity with incomplete information," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 627-633.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & José María Labeaga & Xiral López-Otero, 2009. "Estimation of Elasticity Price of Electricity with Incomplete Information," Working Papers 2009-18, FEDEA.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Sen, Sudeshna, 2006. "Household vehicle type holdings and usage: an application of the multiple discrete-continuous extreme value (MDCEV) model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 35-53, January.
- Asadoorian, Malcolm O. & Eckaus, Richard S. & Schlosser, C. Adam, 2008. "Modeling climate feedbacks to electricity demand: The case of China," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1577-1602, July.
- Christopher Garbacz, 1984. "Residential Electricity Demand: A Suggested Appliance Stock Equation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 151-154.
- Bernard, J.T. & Bolduc, D. & Belanger, D., 1993.
"Quebec Residential Electricity Demand: A Microeconometric Approach,"
9334, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Denis Bolduc & Donald Belanger, 1996. "Quebec Residential Electricity Demand: A Microeconometric Approach," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 92-113, February.
- Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2008. "Carbon mitigation costs for the commercial building sector: Discrete-continuous choice analysis of multifuel energy demand," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 527-539, December.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2005. "The residential demand for electricity in Australia: an application of the bounds testing approach to cointegration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 467-474, March.
- Nesbakken, Runa, 2001. " Energy Consumption for Space Heating: A Discrete-Continuous Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 165-84, March.
- Massimo Filippini & Shonali Pachauri, 2002.
"Elasticities of Electricity Demand in Urban Indian Households,"
CEPE Working paper series
02-16, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Filippini, Massimo & Pachauri, Shonali, 2004. "Elasticities of electricity demand in urban Indian households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 429-436, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pablo Pintos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.