Adaptive Forcasting in the Presence of Recent and Ongoing Structural Change
AbstractWe consider time series forecasting in the presence of ongoing structural change where both the time series dependence and the nature of the structural change are unknown. Methods that downweight older data, such as rolling regressions, forecast averaging over different windows and exponentially weighted moving averages, known to be robust to historical structural change, are found to be also useful in the presence of ongoing structural change in the forecast period. A crucial issue is how to select the degree of downweighting, usually defined by an arbitrary tuning parameter. We make this choice data dependent by minimizing forecast mean square error, and provide a detailed theoretical analysis of our proposal. Monte Carlo results illustrate the methods. We examine their performance on 191 UK and US macro series. Forecasts using data-based tuning of the data discount rate are shown to perform well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University in its series CAMA Working Papers with number 2012-14.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kapetanios, George & Price, Simon, 2013. "Adaptive forecasting in the presence of recent and ongoing structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 153-170.
- Liudas Giraitis & George Kapetanios & Simon Price, 2012. "Adaptive Forecasting in the Presence of Recent and Ongoing Structural Change," Working Papers 691, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C59 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2006.
"Forecasting Using Predictive Likelihood Model Averaging,"
567, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Kapetanios, George & Labhard, Vincent & Price, Simon, 2006. "Forecasting using predictive likelihood model averaging," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 373-379, June.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 2007. "Selection of estimation window in the presence of breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 134-161, March.
- Hendry, David F., 2000. "On detectable and non-detectable structural change," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 45-65, July.
- Kapetanios, George, 2007. "Estimating deterministically time-varying variances in regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 97-104, November.
- Orbe, Susan & Ferreira, Eva & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan, 2005.
"Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 53-77, May.
- Rodríguez Poo, Juan M. & Ferreira García, María Eva & Orbe Mandaluniz, Susan, 2001. "Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions," BILTOKI 2001-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Eklund, J. & Kapetanios, G. & Price, S., 2011.
"Forecasting in the presence of recent structural change,"
11/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Eklund, Jana & Kapetanios, George & Price, Simon, 2010. "Forecasting in the presence of recent structural change," Bank of England working papers 406, Bank of England.
- Jana Eklund & George Kapetanios & Simon Price, 2011. "Forecasting in the presence of recent structural change," CAMA Working Papers 2011-23, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.