A Copenhagen Collar: Achieving Comparable Effort Through Carbon Price Agreements
AbstractThe global financial crisis proves how unforeseen macroeconomic conditions can affect policies aimed at reducing and stabilizing greenhouse gas emissions. It has made voters uneasy about potential climate policy that could raise energy costs and unemployment. To improve the political stability of any policy agreement emerging from this December’s annual meeting on the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Copenhagen, and to ensure the comparability of commitments and ease the inclusion of developing countries, the authors propose that the UNFCCC supplement emissions targets with a price collar. This paper outlines an example that shows that a price collar can have a negligible expected impact on the outcome that matters most for the climate—increasing emissions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University in its series CAMA Working Papers with number 2009-29.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 2013. "A Global Approach to Energy and the Environment," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
- Wood, Peter John & Jotzo, Frank, 2011.
"Price floors for emissions trading,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1746-1753, March.
- Wood, Peter John & Jotzo, Frank, 2009. "Price Floors for Emissions Trading," Research Reports 94885, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- Peter Wood & Frank Jotzo, 2009. "Price Floors for Emissions Trading," Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports 0936, Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Peter John Wood & Frank Jotzo, 2009. "Price Floors for Emissions Trading," Working Papers 2009.118, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Frank Jotzo, 2013. "Emissions Trading in China: Principles, Design Options and Lessons from International Practice," CCEP Working Papers 1303, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.