The Seasonal KPSS Test When Neglecting Seasonal Dummies: A Monte Carlo analysis
AbstractThis paper shows through a Monte Carlo analysis the effect of neglecting seasonal deterministics on the seasonal KPSS test. We found that the test is most of the time heavily oversized and not convergent in this case. In addition, Bartlett-type non-parametric correction of error variances did not signally change the test's rejection frequencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels in its series EERI Research Paper Series with number EERI RP 2013/07.
Date of creation: 07 Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Deterministic seasonality; Seasonal KPSS Test; Monte Carlo Simulations.;
Other versions of this item:
- El Montasser, Ghassen & Boufateh, Talel & Issaoui, Fakhri, 2013. "The seasonal KPSS test when neglecting seasonal dummies: a Monte Carlo analysis," MPRA Paper 46226, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uwe Hassler & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2004.
"Seasonal Unit Root Tests Under Structural Breaks,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 33-53, 01.
- Matei Demetrescu & Uwe Hassler, 2007. "Effect of neglected deterministic seasonality on unit root tests," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 385-402, September.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal Integration And Cointegration,"
0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Gregoir, St phane, 1999.
"Multivariate Time Series With Various Hidden Unit Roots, Part I,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 435-468, August.
- Gregoir, St phane, 1999. "Multivariate Time Series With Various Hidden Unit Roots, Part Ii," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 469-518, August.
- Fabio Busetti, 2003.
"Tests of seasonal integration and cointegration in multivariate unobserved component models,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
476, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fabio Busetti, 2006. "Tests of seasonal integration and cointegration in multivariate unobserved component models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 419-438.
- Fabio Busetti, 2004. "Tests of seasonal integration and cointegration in multivariate unobserved component models," Econometrics 0411003, EconWPA.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Hylleberg, Svend & Lee, Hahn S., 1995. "Spurious deterministic seasonality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 249-256, June.
- Johan Lyhagen, 2006. "The seasonal KPSS statistic," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(13), pages 1-9.
- Abeysinghe, Tilak, 1994. "Deterministic seasonal models and spurious regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 259-272, April.
- Lee, Junsoo & Huang, Cliff J. & Shin, Yongcheol, 1997. "On stationary tests in the presence of structural breaks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 165-172, August.
- Artur C. B. da Silva Lopes, 1999. "Spurious deterministic seasonality and autocorrelation corrections with quarterly data: Further Monte Carlo results," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 341-359.
- Cubadda, Gianluca, 1999. "Common Cycles in Seasonal Non-stationary Time Series," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 273-91, May-June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2006:i:13:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Busetti, Fabio & Taylor, A M Robert, 2003. "Variance Shifts, Structural Breaks, and Stationarity Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 510-31, October.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.