Patents, competition and firms’ innovation incentives
AbstractIn this paper we analyze how industrial property rights (IPRs), measured by patents granted, affect competition at the industry level, and their induced effects on firms’ innovation incentives. We use for that purpose a panel dataset of Spanish manufacturing firms for the period 1990-2006. Using indicators of fundamentals of competitive pressure and factor analysis techniques, we construct a new synthetic measure of competition. Our results indicate that although the use of IPRs (in terms of industry patenting intensity) reduces market competition, it may also encourage firms’ innovation incentives (in terms of firms’ R&D expenditures and the number of product innovations).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia in its series Working Papers with number 1211.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Edifici Departamental Oriental, Campus dels Tarongers, Avda. dels Tarongers, S/N (4P15), 46022 - València
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
IPRs; patents; competition; innovation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-07-29 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2012-07-29 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-07-29 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2012-07-29 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2012-07-29 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2012-07-29 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2012-07-29 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2007.
"The Value of Intellectual Property Rights to Firms,"
06-036, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2007. "The Value of Intellectual Property Rights to Firms," Economics Series Working Papers 319, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Nick Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2005.
"Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 120(2), pages 701-728, May.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and innovation: an inverted U relationship," IFS Working Papers W02/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Howitt, Peter & Griffith, Rachel & Aghion, Philippe & Blundell, Richard & Bloom, Nick, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship," Scholarly Articles 4481507, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted U Relationship," NBER Working Papers 9269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ganslandt, Mattias, 2008. "Intellectual Property Rights and Competition Policy," Working Paper Series 726, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Paz Coscollá-Girona & Pilar Beneito López & Amparo Sanchis Llopis & María Engracia Rochina Barrachina, 2011. "Competitive pressure determinants and innovation at the firm level," Working Papers. Serie EC 2011-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Martin Woerter & Christian Rammer & Spyros Arvanitis, 2010.
"Innovation, Competition and Incentives for R&D,"
KOF Working papers
10-259, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Christian Helmers & Mark Rogers, 2009. "Patents, Entrepreneurship and Performance," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-095, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.