Policy Shifts and External Shocks in Chile Under Rational Expectations
AbstractThis paper develops a macroeconomic general-equilibrium model fully parameterized for the Chilean economy. The model's basic relations can be rigorously derived from intertemporal optimization by rational forward-looking agents. However, it also introduces critical real-world features - such as short-run wage rigidities and liquidity constraints - that generate deviations from the frictionless full-employment equilibrium of the unconstrained neoclassical paradigm. The model is numerically simulated to explore the effects of various permanent and temporary unanticipated policy shifts and foreign shocks. The experiments - a fiscal expansion, a monetary contraction, and adverse international oil price and interest rate shocks - reflect the policy changes and foreign shocks that Chile is likely to face at the turn of the millenium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 1098.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Claudio Soto G., 2004. "Desempleo y Consumo en Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 7(1), pages 31-50, April.
- Felipe Morandé L., 2001.
"A Decade of Inflation Targeting in Chile: Developments, Lessons, and Challenges,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 4(1), pages 35-62, April.
- Felipe Morandé, 2002. "A Decade of Inflation Targeting in Chile: Developments, Lessons, and Challenges," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Inflation Targeting: Desing, Performance, Challenges, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 14, pages 583-626 Central Bank of Chile.
- Felipe Morandé, 2001. "A Decade of Inflation Targeting in Chile: Developments, Lessons, and Challenges," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 115, Central Bank of Chile.
- Claudio Soto, 2004. "Unemployment and Consumption in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 258, Central Bank of Chile.
- Andrea Butelmann & Francisco Gallego, 2001. "Household Saving in Chile (1988 and 1997): Testing the Life Cycle Hypothesis," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(113), pages 3-48.
- Marcelo Ochoa & Patricio Valenzuela, 2004. "Impactos de un Shock Externo en un Modelo Estocástico de Equilibrio General para una Economía Abierta: El Caso de Chile," Macroeconomics 0407007, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.