Improved Coefficient and Variance Estimation in Stable First-Order Dynamic Regression Models
AbstractIn dynamic regression models the least-squares coefficient estimators are biased in finite samples, and so are the usual estimators for the disturbance variance and for the variance of the coefficient estimators. By deriving the expectation of the initial terms in an expansion of the usual expression for the asymptotic coefficient variance estimator and by comparing these with an approximation to the true variance we find an approximation to the bias in variance estimation from which a bias corrected estimator for the variance readily follows. This is also achieved for a bias corrected coefficient estimator and allows to compare analytically the second-order approximation to the mean squared error of the least-squares estimator and its counterpart for the first-order bias corrected coefficient estimator. Two rather strong results on efficiency gains through bias correction for AR(1) models follow. Illustrative simulation results on the magnitude of bias in coefficient and variance estimation and on the scope for effective bias correction and efficiency improvement are presented for some relevant particular cases of the ARX(1) class of models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 0631.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Smith, A.A., 1996.
"Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics,"
96a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," GSIA Working Papers 1997-36, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- James G. MacKinnon & Anthony A. Smith Jr., 1995. "Approximate Bias Correction in Econometrics," Working Papers 919, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990.
"Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
105, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: A Re-examination," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 661-80, August.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kiviet, J.F. & Phillips, G.D.A., 1999.
"Higher-Order Asymptotic Expansions of the Least-Squares Estimation Bias in First-Order Dynamic Regression Models,"
9903, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 2012. "Higher-order asymptotic expansions of the least-squares estimation bias in first-order dynamic regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3705-3729.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D.A., 1993. "Alternative Bias Approximations in Regressions with a Lagged-Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 62-80, January.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Garry D.A. Phillips, 1998. "Degrees of freedom adjustment for disturbance variance estimators in dynamic regression models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(RegularPa), pages 44-70.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A. & Schipp, Bernhard, 1995. "The bias of OLS, GLS, and ZEF estimators in dynamic seemingly unrelated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 241-266, September.
- Grubb, David & Symons, James, 1987. "Bias in Regressions With a Lagged Dependent Variable," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 371-386, June.
- Chiquoine, Benjamin & Hjalmarsson, Erik, 2009.
"Jackknifing stock return predictions,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 793-803, December.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan G, 2004.
"Small Sample Properties of Forecasts From Autoregressive Models Under Structural Breaks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 2005. "Small sample properties of forecasts from autoregressive models under structural breaks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 183-217.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 2003. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts from Autoregressive Models under Structural Breaks," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0331, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Allan Timmermann & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2003. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts from Autoregressive Models under Structural Breaks," CESifo Working Paper Series 990, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jan F. KIVIET & Garry D.A. PHILLIPS, 2012. "Improved Variance Estimation of Maximum Likelihood Estimators in Stable First-Order Dynamic Regression Models," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 1206, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Jan F. Kiviet & Jerzy Niemczyk, 2006.
"The Asymptotic and Finite Sample Distributions of OLS and Simple IV in Simultaneous Equations,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-078/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Niemczyk, Jerzy, 2007. "The asymptotic and finite sample distributions of OLS and simple IV in simultaneous equations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3296-3318, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.