Bias Correction in the Dynamic Panel Data Model with a Nonscalar Disturbance Covariance Matrix
AbstractBy using asymptotic expansion techniques approximation formulae are developed for the bias of ordinary and generalized Least Squares Dummy Variable (LSDV) estimators in dynamic panel data models. Earlier results on bias approximation in first-order stable dynamic panel data models are extended to higher-order dynamic models with general disturbance covariance structure. The focus is on estimation of both short- and long-run coefficients. The results show that proper modelling of the disturbance covariance structure is indispensable. The bias approximations are used to construct bias corrected estimators which are then applied to quarterly data from 14 European Union countries. Money demand functions for M1, M2 and M3 are estimated for the EU area as a whole for the period 1991:I-1995:IV. The empirical results show that in general plausible long-run effects are obtained by the bias corrected estimators. Moreover, bias correction can be substantial underlining the importance of more refined estimation techniques. Also the efficiency gains by exploiting the heteroscedasticity and cross-correlation patterns between countries are considerable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 0511.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Maurice Bun, 2003. "Bias Correction in the Dynamic Panel Data Model with a Nonscalar Disturbance Covariance Matrix," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 29-58.
- Maurice J.G. Bun, 2001. "Bias Correction in the Dynamic Panel Data Model with a Nonscalar Disturbance Covariance Matrix," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-007/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A., 1994. "Bias assessment and reduction in linear error-correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 215-243, July.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Zhao, Z., 1998. "Bias Reduction in Estimating Long-run Relationships from Dynamic Heterogenous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9802, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kajal Lahiri, 2005. "Analysis of Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 1093-1095.
- Carlo C. A. Winder & Martin M. G. Fase, 1998. "Wealth and the demand for money in the European union," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 507-524.
- Kiviet, Jan F. & Phillips, Garry D. A. & Schipp, Bernhard, 1995. "The bias of OLS, GLS, and ZEF estimators in dynamic seemingly unrelated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 241-266, September.
- Alexander Chudik & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2013.
"Common Correlated Effects Estimation of Heterogeneous Dynamic Panel Data Models with Weakly Exogenous Regressors,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4232, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, Hashem & Chudik, Alexander, 2013. "Common Correlated Effects Estimation of Heterogeneous Dynamic Panel Data Models with Weakly Exogenous Regressors," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1317, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alexander Chudik & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2013. "Common correlated effects estimation of heterogeneous dynamic panel data models with weakly exogenous regressors," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 146, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- G. Everaert & L. Pozzi, 2004. "Bootstrap Based Bias Correction for Homogeneous Dynamic²² Panels," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/263, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- G. Everaert, 2009. "Using Backward Means to Eliminate Individual Effects from Dynamic Panels," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/553, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno & Anna M. Falzoni & Rodolfo Helg, 2004. "Measuring the effect of globalization on labour demand elasticity: An empirical application to OECD countries," KITeS Working Papers 153, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Feb 2004.
- Everaert, Gerdie & Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2007. "Bootstrap-based bias correction for dynamic panels," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1160-1184, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.