The Spatial Analysis of Time Series
AbstractIn this paper, we propose a method of analyzing time series in the spatial domain. The analysis is based on the inference on the local time and its expectation. Both for the stationary and nonstationary time series, the spatial distributions are provided by the local time, and some of their important characteristics can be examined through the investigation of the expected local time. The methodology developed in the paper for the analysis of the expected local time applies to both stationary and nonstationary time series. The expected local time, however, reduces to the density of the time invariant distribution if the underlying time series is stationary. Our analysis may therefore be regarded as an extension to the nonstationary time series of the usual distributional analysis for the stationary time series. Our approach is nonparametric, and imposes very weak and minimal conditions on the underlying time series. In particular, we allow for observations generated from a wide class of stochastic processes with stationary and mixing increments, or general markov processes including virtually all diffusion models used in practice. Proposed are several interesting applications of our methodology, such as forecast of spatial distribution, test of structural break in spatial domain, specification test in spatial domain, test of equality in spatial distribution and test of spatial dominance
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings with number 595.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
local time; expected local time; semimartingale; markov process; diffusion; bootstrap; sub-sampling.;
Other versions of this item:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2003.
"Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 241-283, January.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2001. "Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1332, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bandi, Federico M., 2002. "Short-term interest rate dynamics: a spatial approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 73-110, July.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2002.
"Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance: A Subsampling Approach,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1356, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Mar 2002.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2002. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance: A Subsampling Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp407, Financial Markets Group.
- Yoon-Jae Whang & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Oliver Linton, 2004. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance: A Subsampling Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp508, Financial Markets Group.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2002. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance: A Subsampling Approach," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/433, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Wang, 2002. "Consistent testing for stochastic dominance: a subsampling approach," CeMMAP working papers CWP03/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Carr, Peter P & Jarrow, Robert A, 1990. "The Stop-Loss Start-Gain Paradox and Option Valuation: A New Decomposition into Intrinsic and Time Value," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(3), pages 469-92.
- Qiying Wang & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2006.
"Asymptotic Theory for Local Time Density Estimation and Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1594, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Wang, Qiying & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2009. "Asymptotic Theory For Local Time Density Estimation And Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 710-738, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.