Relative Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from Different Inflationary Contexts
AbstractThis paper carries out a comparative analysis of the inflation effects on relative price variability (RPV) in two economies with a inflationary experiences clearly different: Argentina and Spain. The results indicate non-neutrality of inflation, particularly in extreme inflation. The main determinants of RPV are the inflation rate, its variability, and unexpected inflation. Hence, our results neither supports the â€œmenu-costâ€ approach -there are not monetary rigidities in high inflation-, nor the signal â€œextractionâ€ approach, although the latter seems to be suitable for the Spanish case. In turn, we found significant structural changes in this relation in both countries, which suggest that the Inflation-RPV relation is different among different inflationary regimes
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings with number 338.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Inflationary regimes; Argentina; Spain;
Other versions of this item:
- M. Angeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabus & Carlos Usabiaga, 2006. "Relative prices and inflation: new evidence from different inflationary contexts," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1931-1944.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Dabús & Carlos Usabiaga, 2004. "Relative Prices and Inflation: New Evidence from Different Inflationary Contexts," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/71, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2004-10-30 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2004-10-30 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viqueira, Angel Palerm, 1991. "Market structure and price flexibility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 37-54, July.
- Blejer, Mario I., 1981. "The dispersion of relative commodity prices under very rapid inflation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 347-356, December.
- Bakhshi, Hasan, 2002. "Inflation and relative price variability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 27-33, June.
- Domberger, Simon, 1987. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: A Disaggregated Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 547-66, June.
- Stanley Fischer, 1981. "Relative Shocks, Relative Price Variability, and Inflation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(2), pages 381-442.
- Dieter Nautz & Juliane Scharff, 2005. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability in a Low Inflation Country: Empirical Evidence for Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(4), pages 507-523, November.
- Blejer, Mario I, 1983. "On the Anatomy of Inflation: The Variability of Relative Commodity Prices in Argentina," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(4), pages 469-82, November.
- Parsley, David C, 1996. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability in the Short and Long Run: New Evidence from the United States," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 323-41, August.
- Guy Debelle & Owen Lamont, 1996.
"Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from US Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
5627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Debelle, Guy & Lamont, Owen, 1997. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: Evidence from U.S. Cities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 132-52, February.
- Dabus, Carlos, 2000. "Inflationary regimes and relative price variability: evidence from Argentina," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 535-547, August.
- Michael Aarstol, 1999. "Inflation, Inflation Uncertainty, and Relative Price Variability," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 414-423, October.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Alpay Filiztekin, 2001.
"Nonlinear Impact of Inflation on Relative Price Variability,"
2001_02, University of Liverpool Management School, revised 01 Oct 2002.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Filiztekin, Alpay, 2003. "Nonlinear impact of inflation on relative price variability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 213-218, May.
- Blejer, Mario I., 1979. "Inflation variability in Latin America : A note on the time series evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 337-341.
- Fielding, David & Mizen, Paul, 2000. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation in Europe," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(265), pages 57-78, February.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1999.
"Inflation And The Distribution Of Price Changes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 188-196, May.
- Lach, Saul & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1992. "The Behavior of Prices and Inflation: An Empirical Analysis of Disaggregated Price Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 349-89, April.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303, June.
- Jaramillo, Carlos Felipe, 1999. "Inflation and Relative Price Variability: Reinstating Parks' Results," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 375-85, August.
- Mariano Tommasi, 1992. "Inflation and Relative Prices Evidence from Argentina," UCLA Economics Working Papers 661, UCLA Department of Economics.
- María Ángeles Caraballo & Carlos Usabiaga, 2003. "Análisis de la estructura de la inflación de las regiones españolas: La metodología de Ball y Mankiw," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/44, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2008. "Inflation Thresholds and Relative Price Variability: Evidence from U.S. Cities," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(3), pages 61-76, September.
- Caraballo Pou, M. Angeles & Dabus, Carlos, 2008. "Nominal rigidities, skewness and inflation regimes," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 16-33, March.
- Mª Ángeles Caraballo Pou & Carlos Dabús & Diego Caramuta, 2006. "A Non-linear "Inflation-Relative Prices Variability" Relationship: Evidence from Latin America," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2006/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Carlo De Gregorio, 2011. "The dynamics of inflation components and their comparability among countries: the case of the HICP," Rivista di statistica ufficiale, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY), vol. 13(1), pages 5-32, December.
- Liang Wang, 2011. "Inflation and Welfare with Search and Price Dispersion," Working Papers 201113, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Sascha S. Becker, 2011. "What Drives the Relationship Between Inflation and Price Dispersion? Market Power vs. Price Rigidity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.