Efficient Pareto-improving Processes
AbstractWe give two procedures for determining whether efficient Pareto improving local changes are possible. When they are, the procedures compute for them. Any procedure generating efficient and Pareto improving changes can be replicated by these procedures. The two programs form a striking duality. We apply the procedures to Pareto improving exchange processes, Pareto-improving tariff-tax reforms and to the problem of constrained Pareto optimum where informational constraints are present.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 784.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Pareto improvement; constrained Pareto optimum;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tirole, J. & Guesnerie, R., 1981. "Tax reform from the gradient projection viewpoint," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 275-293, June.
- Jewitt, Ian, 1988. "Justifying the First-Order Approach to Principal-Agent Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1177-90, September.
- Guesnerie Roger, 1976.
"On the direction of tax reform,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Tulkens, Henry, 1980. "Commodity Exchanges as Gradient Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 387-99, March.
- Tulkens, Henry & Zamir, Shmuel, 1979. "Surplus-sharing Local Games in Dynamic Exchange Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 305-13, April.
- Cornet, B., 1986. "The second welfare theorem in nonconvex economies," CORE Discussion Papers 1986030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dixit, Avinash, 1987. "On Pareto-improving redistributions of aggregate economic gains," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 133-153, February.
- Rogerson, William P, 1985. "The First-Order Approach to Principal-Agent Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1357-67, November.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H & Woodland, Alan D, 1991. "Strict Pareto-Improving Multilateral Reforms of Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1127-52, July.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, .
"An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
15-80, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Yun, Kwan Koo, 1995. "The Dubovickii-Miljutin Lemma and characterizations of optimal allocations in non-smooth economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 435-460.
- Yun, Kwan Koo, 1995. "Structure of Distortion Equilibria and Welfare in a Multiregional Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 491-512, May.
- Weymark, John A., 1981. "Undominated directions of tax reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 343-369, December.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.