International linkage of real interest rates: the case of East Asian countries
AbstractThis paper examines linkage of real interest rates for a group of selected countries in East Asia. The countries under study include Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. The long run relationship is tested and estimated using the conitegration analysis. We also have conducted the impulse response analysis based on unrestricted vector autoregression, using the bias-corrected wild bootstrap for statistical inference. Our results show that (1) there exists a long run equilibrium relationship, (2) there are interesting short run dynamic interactions, in which Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand play the role of equilibrating factor
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings with number 124.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Financial linkage; Real interest rate parity; Cointegration analysis; Wild bootstrap;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2004-10-30 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2004-10-30 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karim M. Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, 1999.
"The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 163-182, January.
- Karim Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, . "The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases," Discussion Papers 96/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kilian, Lutz & Gonçalves, Sílvia, 2002.
"Bootstrapping Autoregressions with Conditional Heteroskedasticity of Unknown Form,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2002,26, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Goncalves, Silvia & Kilian, Lutz, 2004. "Bootstrapping autoregressions with conditional heteroskedasticity of unknown form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 89-120, November.
- Sílvia Gonçalves & Lutz Kilian, 2003. "Bootstrapping Autoregressions with Conditional Heteroskedasticity of Unknown Form," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-17, CIRANO.
- Gonçalves, Sílvia & Kilian, Lutz, 2002. "Bootstrapping autoregressions with conditional heteroskedasticity of unknown form," Working Paper Series 0196, European Central Bank.
- GONÇALVES, Silvia & KILIAN, Lutz, 2003. "Bootstrapping Autoregressions with Conditional Heteroskedasticity of Unknown Form," Cahiers de recherche 2003-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gonçalves, Sílvia & KILIAN, Lutz, 2003. "Bootstrapping Autoregressions with Conditional Heteroskedasticity of Unknown Form," Cahiers de recherche 01-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Lutz Kilian, 2000.
"Recent developments in bootstrapping time series,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 1-48.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L, 1995. "Some Empirical Evidence on the Effects of Shocks to Monetary Policy on Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 975-1009, November.
- Hutchison, Michael M. & Singh, Nirvikar, 1997. "Equilibrium Real Interest Rate Linkages: The United States and Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 208-227, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Grennes, Thomas J., 1994. "Real interest rate equalization and the integration of international financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 107-124, February.
- Yamada, Hiroshi, 2002. "On the linkage of real interest rates between the US and Canada: some additional empirical evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 279-289, July.
- Merrick, John Jr. & Saunders, Anthony, 1986. "International expected real interest rates: New tests of the parity hypothesis and U.S. fiscal policy effects," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 313-322, November.
- Mark, Nelson C., 1985. "Some evidence on the international inequality of real interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 189-208, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.