On Pricing and Vertical Organization of Differentiated Products
AbstractThis paper investigates the pricing and vertical organization of differentiated products under imperfect competition. In a multiproduct context, a Cournot model is used to examine how substitution/complementarity relationships among products and vertical structures can affect the exercise of market power. This motivates a generalization of the Herfindahl-Hirschman index (termed VHHI) capturing how market concentration and vertical structures interact to influence prices of differentiated products. The analysis is applied to pricing of soybean seeds in the US over the period 2000-2007. We consider two vertical structures employed by biotech firms: vertical integration and licensing. The econometric analysis finds evidence that vertical organization has significant effects on seed prices. These effects are found to vary depending on the institutional setup and the bundling of genetic material. The empirical evidence shows that complementarity and economies of scope can reduce the effects of market concentration on prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics in its series Staff Paper Series with number 535.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-11-14 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-11-14 (Industrial Competition)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shi, Guanming & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2009. "An Analysis of Pricing in the U.S. Cotton Seed Market," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 51617, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.